Logo

Merc 90 Reverse Fine, Neautral Fine, Forward fine until a load then switches to neutral

Chucktowndcroz

My merc 90 works fine in reverse, fine in neutral, but when you switch to forward it will go at low speeds. If you try to speed up it switches to neutral and revs. Any idea?

I would still rule out the "easiest fix" first, and that's the prop.

You can take a permanent marker (or anything you can mark with) and place a mark on the prop itself and one on the hub adjacent to each other. If after it slips the marks are no longer lined up you need to rehub the prop.

If the marks didn't move then you have some sort of mechanical issue, might be minor but could be major and you will be getting out wrenches and tearing things down.

I personally would "hope" the prop is the issue.

Spun hub, if it was a linkage or a dog issue there would be a bang. A spun hub you will be going along and all of a sudden the rpms climb

Sounds like the adjustment is out a little somewhere, check if upstairs linkage is loose, check travel when moving control lever, use masking tape on motor to mark neutral, reverse and forward positions at the motor pivot lever moving end, should be about the same distance from neutral for both, this will tell you if the cables are adjusted properly

Back