Logo

Honda BF90D 2010 thermostats

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi all today i inspected the thermostats on cylinder head and engine block. what i did is this i started the engine in a water tank 200lts and left it idle for 15 min then i removed the thermostats the one on the head was open but the one on the block was still closed i have restart it again and left it for another 15 min and did the inspection again and the one on the block was still closed. i have restarted again and left it for another 15 min for a total of 45 min water started to heat up but again it did not open then i swap the thermostats the one on the head (50[SUP]o[/SUP]C) with the one on the block (60[SUP]o[/SUP]C)and started the engine for 5 min removed the thermostats and the (50[SUP]o[/SUP]C) one opened on the block but the (60[SUP]o[/SUP]C) that was on the head did not opened
then i put the thermostats in a pot with water and heated up the water and the thermostats open first the (50[SUP]o[/SUP]C) then the (60[SUP]o[/SUP]C) which means that they work. what i would like to know what time should it take to warm up the engine to open the thermostat and if they where installed properly the (50[SUP]o[/SUP]C) on the cylinder head and the (60[SUP]o[/SUP]C) on the engine block. i need to know the time to open the thermostats to know how much i have to operate it to rinse it from salt water. sorry to write so long but to try to explain what i done and need to know. thanks

The time to open will depend on how hard the engine is working. I do not know of any specific time.

If you are putting the motor in a tank, be sure to put the motor in deep enough for the water to cover the water pump in the lower unit. It might be possible that there is not enough water getting to that area of the motor.

Mike

The time to open will depend on how hard the engine is working. I do not know of any specific time.

If you are putting the motor in a tank, be sure to put the motor in deep enough for the water to cover the water pump in the lower unit. It might be possible that there is not enough water getting to that area of the motor.

Mike

Mike the motor is submerged properly and it have a lot of presur i found a video that indicated the thermostat are instaled properly. Could it be that the thermostat is defected? And does not work properly in place? Thanks jason

Hi Jason,

As Mike has already said then an engine will warm up at different times depending on how hard it`s working. At idle then the engine really isn`t doing much apart from turning itself and turning the driveshaft.

You state that you`ve checked the thermostat`s and as long as they`re opening at the correct temp then they should be fine. You need to remember that the two different temps need to be replaced in they`re correct place on the engine as per specs.

The only way to see what the temp is at the thermostat`s is to get a Digital Infrared IR Thermometer Temperature Laser Gun and monitor the temps yourself. They`re cheap enough to buy and a handy bit of kit to have.

Cheers, Matt

Back