Logo

AD41b water pump bearing noisy

jansen

Contributing Member
there is a dry noisy bearing sound from the circulating water pump on my ad41b 200hp Volvo Penta engine. From the diagram it appears there is a large bearing on the front of the housing that may be accessible without removing the pump from the engine. Anyone ever do this? This pump looks difficult to remove from the engine, seems to go up into head and has a pipe going into the heat exchanger. Anyone ever pulled the pump?

I haven't done the AD41 but have done a couple on KAD32's. If they are similar you need to pull the pump and the piping is a pain to work with. Rebuilding the pump can be done with a few pullers etc, but can be very tricky due to the mechanical seal inside them. You have to be careful not to pull/move the shaft in relation to the pump housing as it can mess up the seal and also the impeller clearances. If it is just the front pulley bearing you may be able to remove this with a puller and replace it without getting into the rest of the pump, but I have a feeling that this was difficult for some reason. The mechanical seals are easy to damage, hard to replace, and pretty expensive so be gentle with the pump.

You have to pull the pump. The seal will not last very long with a bad bearing. The bearing and seal should be available at any good bearing supply.

The pump is a pain to pull. Make sure you get the right upper donut seal upon re installation.
My pump eventually seized causing the belts to burn up and make a huge mess.
Leaks are not your only risk!

Good news. Just had to pull pulley and change out bearing. Didn't have to pull pump. Bearing replaced with a Timken 206PP for $21.

Back