Logo

Bridgeport midsection interchangeable with 150 XR6?

rayhawk

I need a new midsection for my 150 XR6, it is a 1994 motor, 20" shaft, 2.5L. I have the three ram trim/tilt.
I found a bridgeport midsection complete (20"), is this interchangeable with what I have? Will I need to swap in my tuner?

I am replacing my midsection since my steering arm and motor mounts are shot, my trim and clamp are fine, not sure if I could/should swap my trim and clamp to the bridgeport midsection?

Have to wait for one of the racers to give you some advice.

I absolutely don't know. The Bridgeport's are "different" - I know the blocks were not the same (believe they used a 2.4L in the 135/150 horse range maybe instead of the 2.0 or 2.5L found on the (normal) models). Can't tell you if that translated into a different mount on the exhaust/drive shaft housing or not...

That's NOT a BP just a late 80's early 90's 3 ram midsection that uses the 3 piece(trunk) cowling. A BP has single trim ram and 1 piece adapter plate(no upper motor mounts).

He says it is a single ram trim, although I can't tell from the pictures. I'm not sure what you mean by 1 piece adapter plate though.

Is there any reason the midsection won't work for me either way?

The pictures you posted are a 3 ram trim and yes it will work. Its not a BP as it has cowling brackets,BP cowling is different nd has 2 piece adapter plate. Don't over pay for a stock mid......

OK, I went to see it. It is a 3 ram trim as you say. The two ports on the back of the casting are opened up, and there is no hole for the rubber hose to poke through the cowling like my XR6 has. Does this make a big difference? It also has a completely different tuner, I assume I would have to put mine in to prevent a drop off in low rpm power right?

The steering arm looks great, but we couldn't get it to swivel by hand, which is the reason I am replacing mine.

here are some pics of it:

20160423_100156a.jpg20160423_100224a.jpg20160423_100342a.jpg
20160423_100132a.jpg

Someone took a stock midsection and added a performance exhaust tuner, these where used on some Supermags and jets.I myself would find a later model one.

Well I am having fun trying to get the powerhead off. Of the 4 long studs, the front port side one came free while removing the nut (luckily), and the other two medium length studs came out with some heat and jam nuts. So the last stud on the starboard side, the long one, is a nightmare. I tried the double nut method with significant heat but no luck. Eventually destroyed the lower threads and started on it with vice grips and more heat. I actually got it to break free and back out maybe 1/2 to 1 turn so far. It was getting late so I stopped there, but it is still very tight.

So my question is, what is my next step since I am struggling to get movement with the vice grips? Any chance that breaking loose the stud will allow me to yank the powerhead off now? This powerhead has never been removed and many years in saltwater have not been kind. Since I am probably getting a new midsection should I just drill through the side of the adapter plate and spray some pb blaster in there?

Oh and I found another midsection, this one off an 80's XR2 2.0L motor. I know there are various differences, but is there any reason I can't use this unit? It is complete with working trim. Does it have smaller exhaust ports or water passageways? I can see they don't have separate lower cowls like my motor, can I bolt my lower cowls up to this midsection?

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the XR2 unit, it swivels freely. I believe if I am able to get my exhaust plate off and put it on this unit it will work, is this a reasonable assumption? Is there any issue with the different steering arm configuration?

IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0459.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg

Ok, so I got the powerhead off, and bought the "bridgeport" midsection. I know the clamp is not from a bridgeport, but it has what appear to be the factory drilled exhaust above the cavitation plate and the bridgeport style exhaust. This is the best I could find locally that fits my budget and time frame. It needs some work to swivel freely but it does move.

So is this going to be ridiculously loud for my family boat? How much louder do these holes make the boat while cruising? Is there a block off plate available if my wife doesn't like it(for the motor, not for my wife)? I am leaning toward taking the steering arm out of the bridgeport midsection and installing it in my midsection, how hard is this if it is in good condition? Will I likely be able to re-use the motor mounts, etc after removal?

How much loss of low end performance will I get (if any) by leaving the bridgeport exhaust tuner in? Boat is an 18' Seacraft, I am looking for good low end cruising power, I don't want to sacrifice much low end for additional top speed that I can't really use.

People remove the inner exhaust can and drill them like that all the time...its going to be LOUD so plug em and the tuners gotta go. If you don't do both you will have a crappy holeshot and midrange as very little of the exhaust exits prop to help ventilate it and engine looses a lot of back pressure,also reinstall your exhaust can. You will need to weld/plug up the drilled relief slots and recut it with a hole saw to add your rubber exhaust hose.
You will also need to check the trim motors as the early was a 3 wire and the later is a 2 wire, you will need to redo the trim wiring if you go backwards in years. IMO you would be better to just swap the swivel arms....

Last edited:
Ok, I got everything back together, but ended up with a major water leak between the exhaust plate and the plate assembly, the two pieces that sandwich the steering arm mounts. Water is pouring out around the steering arm like I left out the gasket. I did not replace the seal at the end of the water tube because it seemed to be in good shape, and I'm not even sure that would cause the leak I am seeing. I also did not apply sealant to the gasket, it didn't seem necessary as my parts were in good condition. Any idea what I missed? Everything seemed to come together so well, I don't understand what went wrong. I used a sierra gasket, pn 18-0643, which is supposedly correct for my engine.

Back