Logo

3 Mexican mechanics and yet we cannot figure this out, need help here

Tokyo Fro

Hello Team!

really frustrated here.

I've had my Shamrock Adventurer (22) in Mexico for 9 years, its now in Loreto

CRUSADER ENGINE, 5.7 L, MPI, YEAR 2005

been having this really weird fuel issue.

engine runs perfectly

we can be haulin at all different RPM's

all of a sudden the engines cannot get any fuel.

this is what we have done thus far:

SCRUBBED AND CLEANED THE FUEL TANKS

NEW FUEL LINES

NEW FUEL FILTERS (DOES THIS TWICE JUST TO MAKE SURE)

NEW FUEL PUMP

MOTOR HAS 8 SENSORS, WE REPLACED 3 OF THEM, THE OTHERS ARE IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER

NEW SENDING UNITS AND GUAGES

WE'VE DONE A PRESSURE RELEASE MORE THAN ONCE

THE ENGINE DOES'NT GET HOT

IS IT A COMPUTER ISSUE?

REALLY DON'T WANT TO TAKE HER TO THE STATES TO FIGURE THIS OUT (PERHAPS ON A DIAGNOSIS COMPUTER?)

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS, MUCHO APPRECIATED

Did you check the anti-siphon valve ??? (I just went through this with a Crusader 350) Changed just about every thing and then found out it was the valve.:mad:

Did you check the anti-siphon valve ??? (I just went through this with a Crusader 350) Changed just about every thing and then found out it was the valve.:mad:

that would be huge if it was.....we have not checked the Anti-Sipon valve...is there one for each tank?

so you were having same issues?

thanks

fro

If you have the "return-less" fuel system be sure you have water circulating thru the fuel control cell. Just pull off the small 1/4" hose hose from the elbow to see water flow.. The FCC should be cool to the touch. If not you will get vapor lock. I was ready to cut the decks & pull the tanks as I was sure that something was floating around inside randomly blocking fuel flow.really frustrated here.I've had my Shamrock Adventur

There should be one "in line" as soon as you have the fuel coming out of the tank .
Mine was about 3 inches long and connected directly to the fuel probe that came out of the tank. The 'open' and 'closed' selector was next and attached to that was a brass nipple that was attached to the flexible fuel line which went to the fuel filter.

My problem was that the starboard engine would run about 3 hours and then just quit. The 'mechanic' changed just about everything electrical but the same thing kept happening. He told me that seeing my boat was built in 1991 there was no anti-siphon valve on it.

When the engine quit I went back and immediately turned Cross-feed on and took fuel from the other engines tank....the engine would then start and run forever.

When I got the boat home I went back and crawled around and took the fuel probe out and there it was...an anti-siphon valve and the the inside was very dirty and quite full of gunk. Checked the port engine as well and the anti-siphon was crystal clear.

I changed the offending engines valve and the proof will be a long run once the boat is back in the water in late May...here's hoping ...Good Luck

have you had the boat out with a fuel pressure gauge installed??? If not, you may wanna consider it....MPI systems need adequate fuel at the proper pressure to deliver full performance.....This provides 'proof' of the assumed issue...

If this procedure turns out to show an issue, then you can start further diagnostics...

As a fellow Mexican boater (San Jose del Cabo) with two 2003 5.7 MPI's, I understand your frustration. The first issue is to determine if the problem is fuel or spark. You believe it is fuel but haven't shared your observations. Assuming that is correct you have already covered many of the bases. The anti syphon valve is certainly a possibility and is an easy, cheap fix. You say you have changed the fuel pump but actually there are two of them. A low pressure pump and a high pressure pump. Both are electric so both have plugs that can become loose or corroded, and both have either fuses or circuit breakers (can't remember and I am in Florida right now and my diagnostic book is in Mexico). But in any case, the suddenness of the symptom usually screams electrical issues.

You need the diagnostic book in any case. Go to the website Pirate 4x4 and look for their article on the MEFI-4 controller. These marine controllers used to be used a lot in the hot rod industry which is the direction of this site. In the article (which is excellent) is a link to get the original diagnostic manual. Very, very useful.

If you need a fuel pressure gage and can't find an affordable one, I noted that the schraeder type fitting on the top of the fuel rail is the size used in the air conditioning industry. So I got an old hose from a shop, cut the end off and put on a $10 gage I bought at a plumbing supply house. Worked great. I wouldn't use it unless you can watch it, however. Not a place you want a failure (60 psi fuel leak in the engine compartment)! When you get the diagnostic book it will give you the specs at various rpms.

Good Luck Amigo!

I had this similar issue with my fuel injected engine, just stopped and wouldn't start, found it to be the High pressure fuel pump. Intermittent failures.

Any Updates Tokyo Fro?

Had similar problem with my 2003 crusader 5.7 mpi and thought it was a the problem but turned out to be the district or cap. My mechanics insisted it was a fuel issue but it was the cap all along. Easy to check.

Back