Logo

engine alignment 1977 OMC 235

JOHN OMC

I'm looking for help aligning the engine after doing extensive wood and fiberglass repairs , replaced 4 engine pads and the wood and fiberglass on the transom . any help/ suggestions would be appreciated .

A 1977 OMC would have been prior to the OMC Cobra gimbal suspension system drives.
I believe that your engine uses "4 point" style mounting. If so, any alignment would be accomplished by raising or lowering via these 4 engine mounts .

Also, your engine and stringer drive assembly will be of "fixed geometry".

Maybe I should have mentioned that I removed the engine to repair the boat , what you are referring to are the trim adjustments I'm trying to square the engine/ intermediate gear case with the transom and also position the engine assembly at the correct forward / aft placement.
Since posting I have installed the transom seal , marked the centerline of the intermediate gear case and centered that with the center of the back of the boat , then for the depth measured off the machined surface of the pivot for the lower unit checking that I have just enough clearance on the stern . I also found pictures of the same year and model to see if my method of measuring looks the same as an original setup . I think I'm very close to being where it should be .

Ayuh,.... The most important line to establish is the Keel Line,....

Pull a string, use a straight edge, whatever it takes,.....

Then align to it,....

Back