Logo

Trim Sender/Trim Gauge Question

Johnathan Steil

Hello,

I inherited a 1979 Monark Bass Pro Fishing boat with a 1978 Johnson 100HP motor. I've restored most of the boat and right now I'm installing new gauges. The only gauge I have left is the trim gauge. I've done research on line and watched several youtube videos, but none of that helped.

Right now I have the Ignition (I) connected, the ground connected, and then the two wires from the Trim Sender connected to (S Trim sender). When I turn on the ignition the trim stays up. If the motor is up or down the trim gauge always reads up.

I used some jumper cables. Connected the positive to the Ignition (I) and tapped the negative on the (S Trim Sender) and the dial went up and down, so I know the gauge is working.

I went to my boat repair store today and purchased a new trim sender, but it does the same thing the old one did. I think I'm missing some information on how to install the Trim Sender and could use some help.

The gauge manufacture is Faria.

Johnathan

Last edited:
could be the S wires - one or both could be shorted to ground somewhere between the dash and the sender....you can isolate both ends and check them with a meter...

The wire could be pinched corroded and grounded, use a electrical meter to measure resistance have someone move the trim sender wile you observe its reaction.

Back