Logo

BF50 prop selection.

I have a damaged prop . Im listen for comments, a $50 repair or the $100 replacement . The at is a 20' twin pontoon, 20 gal on board fuel tank WOT yields 5400rpm with a typical load. Damaged prop is 11 1/4 x 13 . SS vs Alum ? Change thrust washer ? Correct pitch ...etc.

This is my first experience changing a prop, any advice is appreciated.
Tim

First, if you don't have an owners manual, down load one from http://marine.honda.com/support.

In the maintenance section they will give you a step-by-step procedure for changing the prop. Usually it is not necessary to change the thrust washer unless it is damaged or deformed.

I think that the 5400 rpm is at the bottom of the acceptable WOT range, but not sure what the rated WOT rpm's should be. That engine does typically have a rev limiter, so you cannot over-rev it. A 1" drop in diameter, or a 1" drop in pitch will typically add about 200 rpm at WOT.

I'm a big fan of SS props. Though more expensive, they are must less likely to get nicks or deform.

Check out the Performance reports on the Honda web site. Put in your motor size, boat type (pontoon) etc and it will list a few tests for the 50. http://marine.honda.com/outboards/performance

Most likely, you will see for a pontoon that size, that a 11 3/4 x 10 prop will bring your rpms up to close to 5900 - 6000.

I have one much like yours that I have to work on tomorrow. I will try to remember to check the prop.

I favor aluminum props on a pontoon. A stainless costs a lot more and if you get into the rocks or run aground, the prop may take the abuse, the the gear case will suffer...which is much more expensive. If you boat only in deep water, then a stainless would be ok, but is not going to improve performance to any measurable extent. Your pontoon will not get up on plane with a 50....so the motor is just pushing the "barge" through the water.

Large diameter...small pitch is the answer.

I will add to this post...if this old brain remembers to check the prop tomorrow.

Mike

Back