Logo

1977 115HP Restoration/Repair Notes - Part 1

nicklanigan

Contributing Member
Hi all,

Here's a bit of a post about some symptoms experienced with my outboard, how they were resolved, and a bit about how things work.

I've spent the last two seasons with pretty erratic behaviour from my motor, and whilst it never let me down completely, I have had to limp home a couple of times, and even worse, have had to cancel a couple of outings for the kids.

You can probably find what appears below anywhere on the web, but the info tends to be widely spread out, and difficult to gain a simple, concise overview. I am an electrical engineer by training.

My experiences have been with a 39 year old motor (she's 40 next year). I've owned it around 8 years, and done very little to it in that time - it just worked. Not so the last two seasons, where I've suffered from the following from time to time. The numbering is important, as I'll describe the problem and fix for each one.

1. Hard starting (and even impossible starting on the boat ramp)
2. Hard restarting
3. Complete nothing turning the ignition key
4. A click only when turning the ignition key
5. Loss of power after about 20 minutes running
6. Stall after a restart when trying to go above about 2000rpm
7. Complete loss of spark to one cylinder
8. Battery not charging
9. Tach intermittingly not working

You'll often hear that you need 3 things to make an outboard run - compression, fuel and a spark. Don’t assume anything about what might be causing a problem – best to check everything out.

Ok, dealing with each in turn, and I’d explore things in this order…

Compression

If you've got a problem, test the compression first. A compression problem indicates something is really wrong, and needs to be sorted before worrying about anything else. At minimum you're up for head gasket replacement. So, if you have uneven or low compression, sort that first. Low compression all round might not be that bad - but uneven definitely signals a problem.

You need a plug wrench and compression gauge to carry this out.

Fuel

If everything is going well – the fuel system works as follows:
The fuel primer bulb is squeezed a few times, fuel is pulled from the tank, through the filter/water separator, through the bulb, into the fuel pump, and is actually pushing right into the carb bowls underneath the carburettors. When the bowls are full, valves inside each bowl are closed by floats, and the fuel path is effectively closed. At this time, the primer bulb becomes hard, given there is now nowhere for the fuel to go.

The engine is then cranked over by the starter, normally with the warm up lever raised to advance the timing. The spinning motor now has a compression/vacuum cycle, mixing fuel with air drawn into the crankcase via specific routes within the carb, is compressed, and a spark provided at just the right time.

As the motor spins, the compression/vacuum cycles also power the fuel pump located on the side of the engine – fuel is now pumped by the fuel pump – as the level in each carb bowl lowers, the float allows the valve to open, allowing the carb bowl to refill.

Any leak or blockage in the fuel system will not allow all this to happen.

Assuming you've sorted the basics (fresh fuel, mixed if needed, air valve clear, filter clean etc), check out all the hose, from tank to the carburettor intakes. To do this, you may need to remove the carbs, but we’ll get to them shortly.

In a motor this old, if you don’t know when the fuel line was last replaced, I’d replace the lot now, including the fuel bulb, and any fittings along the way that look worn. In my case, about half the line had cracks – the pre-bent pieces feeding the carbs from the fuel pump were badly cracked on in the inside of the curves – damage not visibly until the carbs were removed.

In addition, I found that by squeezing the fuel bulb, fuel would leak out of the fuel pump – clearly not good, so a new fuel pump was needed.

You’ll find that a “carb rebuild” gets mentioned as the solution for pretty much any problem on boat repair forums. Hmm… I’m not so sure.

However, if you have no idea when someone last took a look at the carbs, it’s probably a good idea to do so. At least that way, you’ll know that they are in good shape once done, and are unlikely to cause you problems.

One of my carbs was perfect, whilst the other contained rusty water – a sure sign of water in the fuel. However, sorting this didn’t actually solve anything for me – but at least I know the carbs are clean and in good order now I’ve rebuilt them.
The rusty muck in the carb alerted me to the need for a filter/water separator, so I installed one in the fuel line.

None of this work directly fixed any of my issues listed above – although I suspect it helped with starting and restarting issues – bad fuel line/primer bulb may allow fuel to empty out of the fuel line back to the tank, making it harder work to restart next time unless the primer bulb is re-used as the fuel pump has to pump air for a bit which is really hard work for it.

However, I now know that fuel is being filtered, that any water in the fuel should be removed before making to the carbs again, and that all the fuel line is good, as is the primer bulb. I also know the carbs are clean internally.

The other area to check is the fuel intake within the tank itself – in my case it is just too difficult to get to, and I’m not experiencing a collapsing primer bulb that would be the key sign of a blockage on the intake in the tank.

You may or may not have found a smoking gun so far – if so, great, but I’d keep going anyway in case more is wrong. I though the rusty water in a carb bowl was the source of my grief – unfortunately not.

OK, so that’s fuel taken care of.

The Spark (well, actually, the entire electrical system)

Ok, so up to now, things have been pretty easy. Electrics on the other hand are a bit trickier. It’s often said that the electrical system on an outboard is the most likely area to fail – I’d have to agree. The heat and vibrations are just a nightmare environment for electrical components and wiring.
So what do we have with all those wires?

It’s easiest to consider them as different systems, which are they. I describe them as follows. These three are almost completely independent of each other.

Starting System

The starting system is what we use to start the outboard. Your battery is connected by two large wires (a positive and a negative one) to the starter solenoid (the positive wire) and just the engine metal (the negative wire).

This system is predominately DC.

When the start key is turned, a small current has to flow through the neutral switch, located in the remote control unit, to the starter solenoid. The small current makes a mechanical plunger inside the starter solenoid move, connecting the 12v from the battery, through the starter solenoid, to the starter motor. This system uses the motor metal as a return path, hence the heavy cable from the battery being connected to a metal stud on the motor.

The starter motor must be able to spin the engine fast enough for the Spark System to work (which is covered below). To achieve this, you must be able to deliver about 9.5v across the starter motor. Doesn’t sound too hard given the voltage of your starter battery, but the currents involved are huge, and therefore the losses from any resistance are large also.

So what can go wrong here?

Bad connections to batteries, to the motor, or any added connectors such as an isolator switch, can all add unneeded voltage drop. In my case, I found very loose battery connectors, and a large loss occurring through an isolator switch. I had to remove the isolator switch, and re-crimp the battery connection.

This sorted my problem of difficult starting.

My next problem was that occasionally, I’d turn the start key and get either a click from the engine, or nothing at all.
Taking these in turn – the click you hear is the starter solenoid plunger moving. So, if you get a click, but nothing else, either the starter motor is bad, or the starter solenoid is bad. In my case, the starter solenoid was full of a black dust, preventing electrical contact from being made. The plunger would still move ok, and give a nice click, it just wouldn’t conduct anything. These aren’t repairable, so will need to be replaced if failed. A volt meter will easily point you in the right direction.

If nothing happens when you turn the start key, you could have a failed neutral start switch. Mine slowly failed over time, so ultimately I just removed it from the circuit. It’s located in the remote console.

20160418_144235.jpg

And here's part 2

Battery Charge System

The second system of interest is the battery charge system. It recharges the battery whilst the engine is running.

This system is both AC and DC.

The battery charge system starts underneath the flywheel, with a set of coils mounted on what is known as the stator. There is another set of windings on stator which we’ll come back to in the Spark Section.

The battery charge coils are a set wire wound coils under the flywheel, with two leads coming out – one connected to each end of the coil. The spinning flywheel (particularly the magnets embedded in it), induce a voltage in the battery charge coil. This is an AC voltage, at a much higher frequency than your house wiring runs at, and because of that, cannot be measured with a regular multimeter. A DVA adapter is required, which measures the peak of an AC waveform. It is very easy to build a DVA adaptor yourself.

The two wires from the battery charge coils are connector to a rectifier, which converts the AC to DC, and then normally to a regulator, which limits the voltage used to charge the battery. More modern replacement parts will combine the function of rectifier and regulator. Regulators dissipate excess voltage as heat, so they can get hot.

The output from the regulator goes back to the battery, via a connection on one side of the starter solenoid.

A cunning use is also made of the battery charge coil output – given it is an AC signal with a frequency related to engine speed, a feed is taken from the battery charge coil and use for the tachometer, as strange as that sounds. Hence you’ll often here people questioning if a boat’s tach is playing up as a way to diagnose the stator.

The easiest way to check a battery charge system is to disconnect the output wire from the regulator and connect it via an ammeter to the 12v line it was originally connected to. By revving the motor with the warm up lever, a positive current should be observed, increasing as the RPM is increased.

So what can go wrong here?

If the battery charge coil is connected to ground in any way, it’s not going to work. A short could be within the windings, or in the lead wires. This can be tested by disconnecting the two lead wires and testing each for resistance to ground.

There is much talk in various forums about the stator effectively melting down and a goo being dropped onto the timer base/engine crank case as a failure sign. I haven’t seen this occur, but it would suggest a problem or imminent problem that needs sorting.

Rectifiers and regulators (or joint units) can be fried, only half working or not working all. An output test is needed to spot this.

Weird things also occur in other systems from bad regulators – a simple way to test is to simply disconnect the two battery charge wires from the stator and try running the motor.

Spark System

The most complex matter is left till last – so here goes.

The spark system begins under the flywheel again, and ends at a spark being generated the end of the spark plug.

Here’s how it works:
Under the flywheel, as part of the stator already discussed, there is a second set of coils – we’ll call these the spark charge coils. Again, we’ve got two wires, one coming off each end of the coil. And as before, the spinning flywheel (the moving magnets) generates an AC voltage in the spark charge coils. These two wires are connected to the infamous power pack.

The power pack has a bunch of connections to it – but it’s all pretty simple. So, we have the following connected to the power pack:
- Two wires from the spark charge coils
- A sensor wire for each cylinder from the timer base
- A wire going to the ignition coil for each cylinder
- A wire connected to ground
- A wire connected to the key switch – the kill wire

The kill wire simply connects some internal circuitry inside the power pack to ground when we want the engine to stop – this instantly turns off the outputs from the power pack.

The timer base is yet another set of coils under the flywheel (so this is set 3). These are a little different to the battery charge and spark charge coils – the sensor coils can be rotated by moving the throttle lever to advance the spark timing. I won’t go into this here.

The sensor coils also generate an AC signal from the rotating magnets, but this time, rather than the generation of power, all we are after is the spike in voltage that occurs as a magnet passes over a coil. The timer base contains two coils in this engine’s case – again, a wire comes off each end of each coil, giving us 4 wires and therefore 4 separate sensor or trigger signals.

So, back to the power pack. Internally inside the power pack (and we can’t see any of the componentry, it’s what’s known as a potted component), the AC from the spark charge coils is rectified and turned into a DC signal and used to charge a capacitor, which behaves like a small battery. When each of the 4 sensor coils is triggered, an electronic switch, known as an SCR inside in the power pack turns on briefly, and the contents of the capacitor are dumped in that particular ignition coil primary winding.

In turn, the sudden pulse in the primary winding induces a very large voltage in the secondary winding, which can jump the spark plug gap to ground and give us a spark.

The cycle continues, with the capacitor being recharged by the spark charge coils, and the next SCR turning on for the next cylinder when the next sensor is triggered.

The power pack deals with quite high voltages – the spark charge coil puts out around 300V+, which the power pack outputs at 150V+ on each ignition coil primary.

And that’s it.

In Summary

So what can go wrong? Unfortunately, quite a lot.

When new, these systems are great. However, as they age, they are prone to failure from small problems, especially shorts.

Unlike your home wiring, there is almost no fuses between anything. So, a failure in one component may also bring down the next component.
The power pack is also probably the most heat susceptible component in the boat. Any problem that occurs after a certain amount of boat running, or occurs after the engine has been shut down after a run and is restarted could indicate power pack problems.

My problems of:
5 Loss of power after about 20 minutes running
6 Stall after a restart when trying to go above about 2000rpm
7 Complete loss of spark to one cylinder

are all power pack failures.

Because of the complexities in the power pack, the results of a failing power pack can be weird and wonderful – loss to a single cylinder, loss to a pair of cylinders, loss only on a hot engine…… Annoyingly, these problems can all disappear once you’ve towed the boat home. By that time it’s all cooled down, and can’t be made to work hard enough to heat up on muffs to cause the problem again.

Again, the spark charge wires and the timer base wires must not be shorted to ground – any short here will cause problems. A short in the spark charge wires would result in an engine unable to start as there would be no power supply for the spark. A short in a timer base wire could actually kill the power pack given how it is connect to an SCR internally.

There is a weak point in the design of the timer base – as the base must rotate, at some location the timer base wires must flex. After 40 years, one of the four wires on mine had shredded its insulation – this is shown in the two photos. This of course has happened on a metal edge, so it is occasionally shorting to ground. This short occurred tucked way up under the flywheel, and was only found when I removed the flywheel.

I had previously replaced the power pack which sorted my issue 5 “Loss of power after about 20 minutes running”, but began to experience issue 6 “Stall after a restart when trying to go above about 2000rpm “. This is because I never found the shorted wire – I had simply put in a new power pack which was doomed to fail.

I’ve had the intermittent tach problem (issue 9). Web forums will have you replace the stator (and therefore the battery charge coils). An important check is probably to ensure your wiring is ok.

I’ve reached the view that for any old engine, the following is probably a good way to go about things:
- Do a compression test. If ok:
- Replace all fuel line, including primer bulb, and all line inside hood
- Install a filter/water separator
- Rebuild the carbs
- Do a voltage drop test on starter. Ensure you’ve got 9.5v+. If not, find out why and sort
- Remove flywheel and inspect the wire leads coming from timer base and from stator. Replace anything that looks bad. Ensure no coil is connected to ground with ohm meter
- Check resistance of timer base coils, and of the spark charge coils (get guide from CDI website)
- Replace the wire harness in its entirety. A wire harness doesn’t cost too much, and will provide valuable assurance in these older motors
- Test power pack output (get the guide from the CDI website)

Back