Logo

Not an Engine Problem

willow

Regular Contributor
Hey it's a weekend...please indulge me....... Here is my question ..after an explanation.

I have a drain hole with a screw-in-plug in the lowest part of my transom.The plug is installed from outside and is removed for winter storage. The problem is that the way the boat was designed, the plug had to be installed almost 4 inches above the lowest part of the inner transom. The result is that each Spring I end up with water in the stern, "almost" up to the oil pans..350s with V Drives.

Now would it be acceptable to install a drain hole near the stern but come up through the bottom of the hull ??? Once again the plug would be in (obviously) when the boat is in the water but out for winter storage and I am guessing it would be a brass plug, flush mounted with the hull when inserted.

You are wondering how the water gets in???? Live up north, boat not covered, left outside all winter. The entrance to the engine room is a lift-up hatch about 5 feet wide and 4 feet long with a drain rim all the way around. The problem is that with snow, and then a melt and then a freeze, the hatch can work up an inch or so and water invariably gets in...no damage as the engines etc. are draped in tarps but the 8 gallons of water in there every Spring is really annoying.

So back to the question....has anyone ever had a drain hole installed from the bottom of the hull upward???

Something about 8 gal of ice in the bilge would bother me also.

Your keel is flattened at its aftmost point? If so, it seems to be a ok fix. Try to find a plug that will not protrude, maybe an allen hex?

On my old boat, I seal fastened a 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate to the transom, then drilled and pipe tapped a hole low as I could in that plate. An 1/8 inch stainless pipe plug completed the installation. Got all but a 1/2 inch or so of water out. Some 5200 sealed the plate. Easy to do.

Jeff

I have a drain plug in the bottom around midship's, was there when I bought her. I just have to block her with a slight list in the winter and have no problem with water in her at all.

Don:

Similar situation back in the day....we just drilled a 1/4" hole at haul out and filled it with epoxy prior to relaunch....no concerns with a solid hull. Cored ones need a solid plug fabricated which can then be drilled to provide a drain.

Interesting problem. Maybe as a physics problem you can develop a siphon system. Maybe an inverted manometer devise. Something like run 0.50-inch tubing through the drain hole to the lowest point in the bilge and weigh it down. Place the other end in a soda bottle suspended from the drain hole with the top even with the level of the bilge water about at some point just prior to the tube sucking air. Except for freezing conditions seems the system would auto-siphon when ever the bilge water level was above the soda bottle top. Sounds like something Mr Wizard would do (for you old guys over 50 or so). May not be practical but seems like an interesting science project. Something for you folks way up north to think about while it is snowing.
All the Best,
FL Panhandle

Thanks to all...good food for thought. The siphon idea would work, like Jeff says, but only once.

Once the boat is on the hard, (mid-October) I don't go back to it until at least Mid March....Lots of rain/snow/ice/sleet can do bad things to a drain in that time.

I think I will drill a hole right through the lowest part of the hull, (engine room) near the transom.

Would like a removable plug but may end up with epoxy fix each Spring. Will let you know and will post photos.

Have a great summer and good luck with your politicians :D:eek: !!!

Don:

Quite common. Its called a "garboard drain" which I believe is a reference to the old wooden boats where the plank next to the keel was the "garboard". Actually, for salt water, they are made with bronze. Same procedure as any through hull fitting: cut hole, fit drain with sealant and bolts. Plug goes into fitting from inside boat, usually has a "T" handle. When you block the boat for the winter, raise bow if the drain is at the transom.

Gene

Thank you Gene,

I was looking at that exact setup an I do believe that I will go that route. Have a great day

Back