Logo

1971 Chris Craft XK19 With 350 FLV - Starter

tminihan

I'm struggling to get my XK running after six years of storage. I can hear the solenoid clicking when turning the key to start but the starter doesn't spin. I don't have the starter out yet, but the solenoid setup appears a little different then what I'm used to with my 70 Buick. Can I go to the auto store and buy a starter for a 71 Chevy 350? Thanks, Tom

Thanks Bondo, makes sense. I managed to pull the starter out this afternoon - contorted in positions that my 47yo body didn't appreciate. When rotating the engine manually from the crank I could hear a clicking from the starter. With the starter out and 12v to the battery side, and 12v to the solenoid, ground in place, I hear the solenoid click but no starter rotation and no movement from the starter pinion in or out. If I spin the pinion by hand, I hear the same clicking noise I heard with rotating the engine from the crank. Could the pinion be stuck in the out position? It's an Prestolite MHA 7013. Is it worth attempting to disassemble or just plan on replacing? I have no idea of the age. Thanks, Tom

I was able to disassemble the starter. The pinion is stuck in the out position. The replacement starters appear different - maybe with a solenoid type pinion action instead of centrifugal? Best place to shop for marine starters? Thanks, Tom

Back