Logo

2002 Tohatsu 18hp Four Stroke

RaZe1

Something's going on with my motor and I can't figure this one out. If I start it up and let it sit for more than a few seconds, it loads-up and starts coughing and sputtering, it won't take any throttle and eventually dies. However, if I start it up and take off right away, it runs fine. I just can't let it idle. I took the carb off once and cleaned it. I also tested the auto-by-starter and it seemed to move correctly. Perhaps I missed something?

How long has this been happening? Have you had the carb apart and Properly cleaned? Are you 100% sure that it is loading up, and not leaning-out? Is there 12v to the ABS wires?

One thing I forgot to check was the float needle and seat when I had the carb apart. Not sure there was 12v to the ABS, I did it last fall. Will there be voltage with just the key on, or does it need to be running?

It started last summer, I let it idle while I went to pull trailer onto ramp. When I got back in the boat it sputtered and coughed, but when I shut it off and restarted it, it ran fine.

Back