Logo

1983 4.5 evinrude.... replace new water pump kit

hwood40

I don't have a manual and I'm out of options right now so I'm hoping I get some helpful info. on how to change the water pump/impeller kit on my 1983 4.5 evinrude. I can't separate the bottom from the top to get to the shifting rod link disconnect....got the screws off (6) from underneath and (4) from inside the top side, but I can't get it separated...don't want to pry too hard and break something....any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.....thanks

???????------Just 3 screws / fasteners and the lower unit comes off.------------The shift shaft just slides out.--------------No disconnect on a 1983 model 4.5 hp motor

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC 7.5hp 1980-1983.html
Meant to link this one. oops didnt open it first your driveshaft may be stuck in the crank if you can turn the motor upside down and squirt some power steering fluid on the driveshaft and let it drip down to the crank and as well as the shift shaft and let it soak then tur it upright and tie a weight on the gearbox and let gravity do its job. If you force it you will likely break something.

Last edited:
awesome...kimcrwbr1...that's exactly what I needed...I thought that removing the other (6) screws was a little too much anyway...gonna be interesting trying to get those screws back in....
thanks too racerone...did that first but couldn't drop the lower unit...thought I had to remove all the other screws...

thanks again:cool:

Back