Logo

2005 BF20D5 LHTA with auto choke

rickluc

I've got this boat motor and it has a electric choke. For the past few years the engine is hesitant to speed up when you give it throttle gas. When it cold or the least bit below operating temperature you have to feather the throttle to get it up to speed. Just yesterday getting it out for the first time I ended up having to use starting fluid to be able to throttle up to running speed. I have wondered for the last few years about doing away with the auto choke and installing a manual choke. Dose anyone have an opinion on this? I priced thru a dealer a couple of years back for parts to do this and they had a price of something like $200. I have a service manual for this engine with all the parts breakdown. If you suggest this can you give me part numbers and/or name of parts needed and I can look it up in my manual. Thought maybe I could buy parts thru on line parts store or Eby. Thanks

Most likely, your basic running and accelerating problem is in your carburetor. It most likely needs a good cleaning. It also is probable that the accelerator pump is either stuck or passage is clogged. These carbs are a little complicated to clean unless you know what you are doing or use the Honda Carburetor Manual's step by step. It explains all the passages and how to clean. Unfortunately, the Service Manual only tells you how to take it apart.

A proper cleaning would probably take care of the basic running and accelerating.....however...

You also expressed a desire to get up and going and accelerating before the engine warms up. Your engine does like to get to operating temperature to operate properly.

That being said, if you need to get up and go quickly, you could change it over to a manual carburetor. Although, you would be making the engine do something that it really does not want to do until warmup, it will work. We have had to changeover several 20's used by a Barge Company, that needs to have the engines "go now" if someone falls overboard, especially in the cold weather.

It is still not perfect, but with the choke (enrichener) pulled out, the engine is getting richer mixture and it will take off ok...but not perfect...as if it were fully warmed up.

You will need part numbers 10, 20 and probably 19. You can not just add the manual enrichener to an auto carb...it will not fit. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...005/BF20D5 LHA/CARBURETOR (MANUAL)/parts.html

So, the dealer was correct.

Good luck.

Mike

Yes, I've torn down carb. a couple of times. Both times I had an issue with the accelerator piston. Cleaned it the first time and was ok. Second time I replaced piston, that worked too. The problem maybe was all could do was and sandpaper the body cavity with light sandpaper. I'll see about getting this carb. Honda Carburetor Manual you're talking about and get back to you. Why do I need a new carb., because the cable choke threads into the carb. housing? Can you give me the number of the carb. manual? Thank

Most likely, your basic running and accelerating problem is in your carburetor. It most likely needs a good cleaning. It also is probable that the accelerator pump is either stuck or passage is clogged. These carbs are a little complicated to clean unless you know what you are doing or use the Honda Carburetor Manual's step by step. It explains all the passages and how to clean. Unfortunately, the Service Manual only tells you how to take it apart.

A proper cleaning would probably take care of the basic running and accelerating.....however...

You also expressed a desire to get up and going and accelerating before the engine warms up. Your engine does like to get to operating temperature to operate properly.

That being said, if you need to get up and go quickly, you could change it over to a manual carburetor. Although, you would be making the engine do something that it really does not want to do until warmup, it will work. We have had to changeover several 20's used by a Barge Company, that needs to have the engines "go now" if someone falls overboard, especially in the cold weather.

It is still not perfect, but with the choke (enrichener) pulled out, the engine is getting richer mixture and it will take off ok...but not perfect...as if it were fully warmed up.

You will need part numbers 10, 20 and probably 19. You can not just add the manual enrichener to an auto carb...it will not fit. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...005/BF20D5 LHA/CARBURETOR (MANUAL)/parts.html

So, the dealer was correct.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited:
The "auto choke" on these outboards is a FANTASTIC device that works GREAT. Changing it out for the manual version is sheer folly and a total waste of time, effort and money. Doing THAT will NOT correct your complaint one bit. Your problem is with the passages in the carb being SEMI plugged. If you don't have the carb manual to follow and properly clean the carb, you will likely not be successful. Get the manual, clean your carburetor CORRECTLY, and then enjoy the RELIABLE operation of one of the FINEST twin cylinder outboards EVER sold.

I would order he manual if I could fine it. Anyone have the number? Thanks

The "auto choke" on these outboards is a FANTASTIC device that works GREAT. Changing it out for the manual version is sheer folly and a total waste of time, effort and money. Doing THAT will NOT correct your complaint one bit. Your problem is with the passages in the carb being SEMI plugged. If you don't have the carb manual to follow and properly clean the carb, you will likely not be successful. Get the manual, clean your carburetor CORRECTLY, and then enjoy the RELIABLE operation of one of the FINEST twin cylinder outboards EVER sold.

Back