Logo

BF15 carburetor accelerator pump plunger boot

handinpalm

I have been reading all the topics on cleaning the carburetors and found it very helpful. I have had a problem with my carburetor on a 2006 BF15D. I saw fuel leaking around the rubber boot (item 20) on the attached link. Is this the accelerator pump plunger ? Does anyone have any tips and suggestions on replacing this rubber boot? When it got torn worse, the motor could not run WOT. Does this sound correct? Thanks in advance!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ho...%29/parts.html

The boot is easy to replace...you just have to be very careful.

I usually grab the plunger near the plastic lever on top with a needle nose. Then take another needle nose and gently pry the plastic lever off of the end of the plunger. Take off the old boot and install the new one with the spring clip.

Then do the opposite to reconnect the plastic arm. Hold the plunger with the needle nose and use the other needle nose to press the plastic arm back on.

The torn boot could cause a problem. Make sure that the plunger is not stuck. If it is, then you will need to disassemble the carburetor and give it a good cleaning to properly free it up. If the plunger cylinder has any rough areas, you really should replace both the plunger and the carburetor bowl.

Mike

Yes, that accelerator pump CIRCUIT is usually a main culprit in "runability" issues with these WONDERFUL Honda twins. If you do end up taking the float chamber off, as Mike suggests, note the passage from the bottom of that pump chamber that feeds the little brass tube that juts out into the carb throat. The tiny orifice at the end of that tube gets clogged and MUST be cleared for your engine to develop full power.

Cleaning typically involves using pressurized brake cleaner forced through the little nozzle in a back and forth manner until it will shoot out past the open throttle plate a MINIMUM of 6 feet.

Obtaining the Honda Marine Carburetor Manual from Amazon would help you get that carb properly serviced.

Good luck.

Back