Logo

89 force 125 starting issue

Buckskin_Bobby

The other day i ran my boat half a day fishing, started the engine about 8-10 times, then all of a sudden had no crank from the key switch, dash lights and instruments.still worked. I got it home and checked battery, fully charged. I jumped the solenoid and the engine cranked so i checked continuity of the red and yellow.wires to the key switch and had continuity there but it wouldnt crank when i jump the same two wires at the switch. This makes no sense to me, thanks in advance.

do you hear the solenoid picking when you try to crank? do you have 12 volts on the pick of the solenoid at that time?if the solenoid is picking do you have 12 volts on the starter post?do you have 12 volts on the post to feed the starter when it does pick?

Try moving the shifter?
Sometimes it gets off just a tiny bit and won't allow the circuit to complete and won't start.

Dash light and gauges work on a different circuit.
Test the fuses and see if there is 1 blown.

Try the circuit breakers on the motor?

On the motor is a switch at the shifter. It must be depressed buy the linkage to start.
Check that and see if it's in the right position.

I have 12 volts to the solenoid, actually about 13.8, i checked the circuit breakers, they werent popped and the neutral switch is depressed by the throttle shift linkage like it should be, i have continuity/resistance through all of those units, im thinking it is my key switch itself i just dont understang how i can have continuity from the solenoid to the switch but not be able to jump it from there

Last edited:
Problem solved, it was the neutral switch, the switch itself was good but i had a corroded terminal on it, cleaned it up and it works again, thanks for the help guys.

I have 12 volts to the solenoid, actually about 13.8, i checked the circuit breakers, they werent popped and the neutral switch is depressed by the throttle cable like it should be, i have continuity/resistance through all of those units, im thinking it is my key switch itself i just dont understang how i can have continuity from the solenoid to the switch but not be able to jump it from there

Back