Logo

2000 Johnson 200 Ocean Pro keeps burning out the ignition side of stator

chasobx

Hello,
I have a 2000 Johnson 200 model # J200VXSSS and it keeps burning out the ignition side of the stator. The problem started in Dec. out fishing and noticed the engine smoking a lot more then normal and very hard to start. I would of normally gone to the VRO however I took that off and mix my fuel now. After checking the orange and orange/black wires coming from the power coil side of stator I found very low voltage and Ohm readings. Replaced the stator (CDI) engine started as normal quick start working etc. started to smell burning electrical smell and sure enough the power coil side was turning brown. Called CDI they had me send back the stator and the power pack to be checked out, they replaced the stator and said the power pack checked out fine. Reinstalled the components and after 30 mins. of driveway running same thing is happening again. I once again called CDI (they are very helpful) and sent the stator and power pack back. I am trying to figure out why this keeps happening, the power coil side of the stator only plugs into the power pack. Check the coils they are fine as are the plug wires.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Hi there,

I'd be suspicious of the power pack. Reason being that the ignition coils on the stator are plugged into nothing else, and it sounds like you are onto stato #3, but still using the original power pack.

Sounds like the power pack has a heat related problem, potentially shorting the ignition coils to ground when hot and cooking the coils.

Hard to diagnose as it only appears to happen when hot, which cdis testing may have missed.

Let me know,

Nick.

Ok, I installed a new stator and new power pack yesterday engine started right up and ran great. I ran it for about 20 mins on the hose before I smelled the electric burning smell again and sure enough the power coil side of the stator was cooking. Any ideas? Please help

Presumably the stator also plugs into a rectifier also? Are you sure the ignition power coils are burning up, as opposed to the battery charge coils?

Presumably the stator also plugs into a rectifier also? Are you sure the ignition power coils are burning up, as opposed to the battery charge coils?

Thanks for the reply
Yes, on this stator there are two charging coils and one power coil. The charging coils plug into the regulator with two pretty thick yellow wires and it also has brown wires which plug into the power pack. The power coil side has two wires orange and orange/black that only plug in to the power pack, this is the coil that keeps burning up.

Power is applied to the pack during cranking thru the yel/red wire till motor reaches a RPM that he power coil can generate voltage. It is possible that the solenoid my be bleeding voltage into internal rectifier of pack and causing coil to short...

Have you or anyone else installed some kind of electrical/electronic equipment on the engine or the boat itself "prior" to this problem?

It sounds like you somehow have battery voltage (or a portion of it) being fed to your ignition system..... to the stator, to the powerpack!

There should absolutely be NO amount of BATTERY VOLTAGE being fed to those two components. Should be easy to check..... wires to stator and pack DISCONNECTED, battery switch (if it exists) ON, ignition switch ON..... do a voltage check on all wires that normally lead to those two components.

Note that a small (microvolt) short within the ignition switch would feed voltage via the black/yellow (kill circuit) wire straight to the powerpack, eventually killing the ignition. That black/yellow wire will not tolerate any voltage. Maybe not your problem but worth mentioning.

Also, should anyone have used the black/yellow wire terminal of the ignition switch as a ground point for some electrical equipment.... that would allow voltage to flow through that equipment, then out the black ground wire of the equipment straight to that black/yellow wire which leads directly to the powerpack!... Not Good!

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Three years ago I installed a new stator, power pack and timing sensor, the motor ran great until this past Dec. The motor staring smoking and became hard to start with th quick start not working as well. I did turn the key on and checked for any wires show voltage and didn't find any. I did a resistance test to look for grounded out wires the black/yellow is grounded. Waiting to hear back from CDI again as I sent the power pack and stator back again.
Thanks for all the replies
I should note that I mix my gas and run a non VRO fuel pump so i know the smoking was not related to that.

Wanted to post a follow up, in working with CDI the stator is new, the power pack is new and after going through 3 defective regulators the 4th one is new and working correctly. I am only running the motor in the water to insure enough water for cooling. My question is, is it normal for the power coil side of the stator supposed to turn a brownish color? These parts only have about an hour and a half of run time on them and the power coil is turning brown. I also replaced the starter solenoid as Faztbullet suggested.

Thanks for the imput

Back