Logo

Honda cowling not locking ?

aristakat

Regular Contributor
Ok need help , my top cowling on right side won't click or latch. I took middle cowling off to see it...I can see it's not cable, seems the tension arm that spring over to catch Latch might need a new spring ? Anyone ever had this issue ?

Here is a close up of latch, you can see where arm doesn't lock

Attachments

• IMG_20160411_202849.jpg
    IMG_20160411_202849.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 79
With the cover off, does the locking arm freely move all the way in as if it would lock if the cowling pin were in place? If so, I believe that you can adjust the cowling pin so that it will be longer. That procedure is on page 4-2 in the Helm manual. Adjustment procedures are on pages 4-12 & 4-13.

With the cover off, does the locking arm freely move all the way in as if it would lock if the cowling pin were in place? If so, I believe that you can adjust the cowling pin so that it will be longer. That procedure is on page 4-2 in the Helm manual. Adjustment procedures are on pages 4-12 & 4-13.

I will read up on that, sounds like issue

I had issues with mine, they can be a pita. My issues were with the cables getting stuck. I ended up replacing all locking cables and adjusting them. It resolved the problem

ok since had two motors decided I could eliminate if it was cowling needed adjustment by tying other one.... didn't fix problem so now either sprng on latch or cable... going to mess this net week

Oh, I forgot to mention. I also disassembled the actual locking/spring mechanism and cleaned old grease off with carb cleaner, then lightly greased. This help a lot!

messed w it somemore today.... Sprayed Pb blaster in cable to see if that would make cable more smooth... If I take cable off spring latch the latch will lock.... when I depress handle latch cable retracts put spring latch doesn't spring forward all the way.. it seems w out cable spring feels strong ? might try to degrease spring next time

I forgot to mention to disassemble the spring loaded handle on the front of the motor and spray it with carb cleaner then oil it. Mine had a lot of salt water build up.

I had this issue. Once I determined the cable release was working, I was baffled until I realized the plns are adjustable up and down. That solved it.

I had this issue. Once I determined the cable release was working, I was baffled until I realized the plns are adjustable up and down. That solved it.

I have two motors so I swapped cowlings problem did not follow w top cowling.. Si I thing it's spring needs cleaned maybe but will update once I get time to mess with

I had a similar problem on my 250s. The spring and washers that move on the pin were stuck. I removed the pin mechanism by removing the two bolts on the cowling. Soaked the part in salt away and then sprayed with CRC heavy protectant. replaced and they worked.

I have the same problem as op. Is it as simple as putting a wrench on the flats of the PIN and extending its length until it latches? Does anything else need to be done ahead of adjusting the length .. like disassembling the bracket?

WOW! That's a really old post. However, if my memory is still intact (which is sometimes doubtful) just grab the pin and turn counterclockwise to make it higher - maybe a half a turn at a time and re-try until it locks down correctly. You want it pretty tight so no water gets inside.

Thanks for the fast response. I can see that the pointed cone has a couple of Flats on it that a crescent wrench can get a hold of and there is apparently a lock nut on the other end of the shaft to keep the shaft from adjusting itself. Even with loosening the adjusting nut I'm not able to turn the pointed shaft with a fair amount of force. So I'm letting that soak in WD-40 for a bit and will try again. Just checking but is there anything more that I need to do other than loosening the lock nut and turning the pointed end of the shaft with a crescent wrench? I would send a picture but I don't see how I can do that. If I figure that out I will forward it just so that we have that for the future.

Was this the fix? I am havinf the same problem where the piece that catches the pin stays open. I have it taken apart and when I pull the handle it will move out but not click back in. I have cleans and lubed it up but it still does not click back in. In addition I tried to adjust the cable and now it "the cable adjuster" will not stay in the slot. Every time I tighten it down it comes un seated and falls out.

Any help would be aprreciated.

Was this the fix? I am havinf the same problem where the piece that catches the pin stays open. I have it taken apart and when I pull the handle it will move out but not click back in. I have cleans and lubed it up but it still does not click back in. In addition I tried to adjust the cable and now it "the cable adjuster" will not stay in the slot. Every time I tighten it down it comes un seated and falls out.

Any help would be aprreciated.

Back