Logo

77 Johnson 2hp low idle needle valve question

oldsoldier

Bought 2 HP from guy who hadn't run engine for "a while". Said it would only run when sprayed with ether :) . So I thought the carb needed rebuild. Wheb I took it aprt, it was just a little dirty but has very little adjustment on low idle speed needle valve.
Question: low speed neddle valve - should needle seat in the small hole at the end of the chamber like the high speed? Mine does not. Threads (1/4-28) on needle valve or in chamber (one or the other)stop needle from end of chamber by 3/8". Do I need to tap the threads deeper in the chambre or did someone use the wrong needle valve?

Thanks

So the inference is that the needle should seat in the small hole in the end of the chamber and that someone rebuilt the carb and used the wrong needle.

Here are pictures. You can see the dark area of the threads - that is as far as it will go. Still not in far enough.
Wonder if they flatten some threads? It won't hurt to run a die across the threads, will it?

needle 4.jpgNeedle valve 2.jpgneedle valve 3.jpg

Last edited:
Strange threads. Thought both hi and low speed would be the same (ease of manufacturing) but the low speed turned out to be 5/16-18 while high speed was ¼ 28.... Low speed needle valve goes all the way into small hole of chamber. Guess I was on the right track - just needed a little encouragement. Now to put it back together and test her.
Two other questions:
1. I plan to put the carb back together "dry" using no lub on any parts -is this good practice?
2. Should I put some gas in carb prior to starting or let gravity do its thing - since I don't see a primer on this engine.

Thanks for your help.

Back