Logo

1976 mfg with OMC inline 6cyl engine removal please help!

Cvarkonda279

I am removing the engine in my 1976 MFG equipped with a GM inline 6cyl engine. I'm wondering if I can remove the engine without removing the intermediate housing? Or do I need to remove both together and then seperate? I am having trouble find any information on this matter. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Take the mid-section out with the motor, or it'll fall outa the hull when ya pull the motor,....

I have done it either way- depends on the hull and access to flywheel bolts etc. and whether or not you want to disturb the transom seal.
Usually easier to take lag bolts out of hull and lift both out together.

Occasionally I have left the intermediate in simply so I could relaunch a hull and use my trailer for something else.

Thank you for the advice. I'm leaning towards pulling it with the intermediate housing attached, but I'm not sure I can get the steering cable disconnected. Any thoughts on cable removal and how it should be done? Also is there any links to service manuals out there? I'm having a hard time finding good information.

you have the true course cable on drum type? super easy to remove.

remove drive, have a helper steer until screw comes around. undo screw. Then pull steer shaft out the rear of the intermediate.

Back