Logo

Water leak?

Ready4It

Contributing Member
Mercury Outboard
110 9.8hp
2 stroke, short shaft

Been out on the water walleye fishing lately. Noticed yesterday that the outboard don't pee that well today, sorta drips then pees.

so I just thought, hey might just need new impeller or water pump. So went out bought new pump kit n impeller.

get home, drop lower unit. Pump and surfaces are covered with this sludge (grease maybe, brownish greenish).
wipe sludge off, checked impeller and pump. All fine....odd...

so I wanted to try something. I took the hose from the tell tale and blew in water into it gently. Awaiting to see water flow down the water tube.
Turns out, maybe 20% of the water I gently blew into hose from tell tale comes out of water tube. The rest (80%) is running down the inner walls...

what could be wrong? Where is this leak and is it an easy fix?
please help diagnose and find solution, walleye is biting hard!!!

stick your hose on the pick up tube . i use compressed air through the tell tale out-let to blow obstructions out ,sometimes you get debris and algae or salt built up in calcium in some environments .good luck mate some water can be coming down the mid section to cool the drive shaft

stick your hose on the pick up tube . i use compressed air through the tell tale out-let to blow obstructions out ,sometimes you get debris and algae or salt built up in calcium in some environments .good luck mate some water can be coming down the mid section to cool the drive shaft

yeah im understanding that "some" should come down the housing. but the proportion that is suppose to come out of tell tale is so little.

Coming out of the block, start it with the cowl off and look and see if you can see where it is coming from

So I took off top cowl, took off cover trim, unscrewed the 6 fasteners holding power head, disconnected kill switch, disconnected choke, disconnected tell tale, and released throttle cables.
I can't take off the power head, it's super tight and won't budge. The gasket right there is broken, that's why there is a leak, checked with bore scope.

I sent thread months ago and received no reply on the same issue. However, 50hp 4 stroke, is peeing well and water is very cool, but a good amount of water is coming out above the foot. Is that normal? Running on ears. Thanks for any help

I sent thread months ago and received no reply on the same issue. However, 50hp 4 stroke, is peeing well and water is very cool, but a good amount of water is coming out above the foot. Is that normal? Running on ears. Thanks for any help

yeah its normal for water to come out of prop (if thats what you mean by foot)

Back