Logo

1977 evinrude 70hp no water spray at all.

I replaced the water pump and all the seals. When you hook up a hose it starts up and runs hard. It does not spray any water out the back high rpm or low either way nothing. Also when you put it in a large set of water just floods out and does not start at all. Is the exhaust holes filling with water and stopping the engine from starting. How do i fix this problem. I am a car guy. The mechanics are not the same at all. Thank you in advance.

What do you mean by set of water. Did you get the water line aligned in the water pump housing and what about the poppit valves

I aligned everything back up when i ut it back together. When you put itbin a big pond or lake the motor will not start. If you hook thr hose up will start right up. When you spray water down the out spot it comes out of the bottom where it comes from. So it sprays out those little holes i poured fluid down those holes to see if the line was vlogged and no it comes out of the suction valves. So no obstruction from the water pump to exhaust spray out

Yes i bought it used and i took it out and it has trouble staying running or idle it idles for like 45sec and than idles down and quits. It was getting hot so o took it to a mechanic to see what was causing it. I replaced the water pump and the rubber piece was worped and cracked and beat to hell. I found out that water was in the lubricant for the lower unit. So i thought that could be why also it over heated. In a car that does this i would say it has a carb problem that u can choke it out and idle it at high rpms for like 10mins and than it stays running. It still quits when u put it in gear. To me i think it is flooding out. Or the exhaust is blocked and engine cant breathe

Water in the lower unit has nothing to do with the motor overheating that just means your lower unit leaks. If the motor was flooding out you would see gas in the water and if it runs with the choke on not flooding. Do a compression test and get an adjustable spark checker spark needs to jump 7/16". Also do a cylinder drop test take a plastic pliers pull the spark plug wires off one at a time. If the idle changes when you pull the wire off that cylinder is working if it doesn't it's not.

Last edited:
The mechanic did a compression test said it was good. How do u do a cylinder test. If kt is hooked up on hose it sounds great reves up and idles and everything. It all changes once it is the water.

Do you have water coming out the tell-tale. Did you put the key in the water pump. Idling and revving in neutral on the hose means nothing at all one of the most useless things to do on an outboard and can cause damage. You need to find out if it is firing on all 3 cylinders. Start it and pull the spark plug wires off one at a time as it is running if the idle changes that cylinder is working if there is no change that cylinder is not working. Use a plastic or insulated pliers you do not want to just grab them. You may have weak spark, no spark ,bad plugs.

When u say key u mean that little piece of metal that goes in that little slot. Yes that is in place. U do see gas in the watetif u try to start it alot and when it starts it smomes like high heaven. Also i did the spark plug bit. The too one kills the engine when ubpull the cap off the middle one just idles down and the bottom one shocks the living hell out of ya.

You need to figure out why you are only running on one cylinder. You need to get a spark checker they are like $10. The spark needs to be able to jump 7/16". come back with the results. If it fails the spark test you can take the coil from #1 and move it to the other 2 cylinders to rule out the coils. Wouldn't advise grabbing the spark plug boots while it's running. You have flooding because you have cylinders not firing this is a process do you have the service manual for this motor. If all that checks out you can move on to the carbs and see if it is flooding. Was the original waterpump that you took out in one piece or was it torn up. You have more than one problem with the motor.

Last edited:
I did it and they all sparked at 7/16 the bottom was the strongest the middle and top just a very light spark. Tge bottom one knocked the hloe tool off the ground. I am going to buy new plugs now and try that. Do u think the. Coils r qeak or just the plugs. Btw no books on the boat.

So i put in new plugs. I stuck it in my pond to see if it would run and after choking the hell out of it and where the throttle arm is u can pull it out and shift rpms up and thatbis the only way it runs. So by doing that now ift starts right up with the rpms maxed out. Withthe little spurts of it running the motor got super hot and steaming and smoking. Pulled it out of the water and i flicked water on the cylinders the brass looking piece right by where the plugs go in and the watter just boiled rigjt off. So now the idle is stuck. Also why would bibbles co.e up from under neath in the water when the mptor is cranking.

Take the thermostat housing off and see if its pumping water out of there. Otherwise you need to go back to the waterpump and see what you did wrong if it worked before it should work now. You need to get a factory manual for your motor you are all over the place with trying to fix this. All the tests I told you to do did not require the motor running. You have a motor that does not run on all 3 cylinders and a waterpump issue pick one problem and stick with it. You can't keep running the motor with a bad waterpump since you keep running it take the lower unit off and see whats happening. I won't be back until saturday you really need to get a manual

Back