Logo

95 HP Hercules valve problem

DCoffey

Just starting trying to restore a 1958 Cavalier with 95 HP flat head Chris Craft engine. Engine spins well, all the pistons run, on one cylinder the valves are stuck. I'm able to drive both valves shut with a block of wood and hammer, they both open when I spin the engine but won't close again. The exhaust valve is difficult to close and will spin and wobble at the bottom but not the top. I thought the valve was broken but my mechanic neighbor says it isn't broken only missing the keeper. My questions are how do I get the valve out? Where do I get new keepers? How do I install the new keeper?
Thanks for the help. I just got the boat last month as a long term project!

2012-09-11-pistons.jpg
guessing you remove the head and the side access cover, use a spring compressor , remove the keepers, collars and spring, push the valve up and out

Thanks for responding. I have borrowed a big "D" looking valve compressor that goes around the block, It appears the valve is corroded/rusted in place. Have bought some "Chem-tool" rust removal and will work with that. Looks like that will work. Thanks again.

Back