Logo

Honda BF225 Main Relay replacement

Jose M

Does anyone have instructions on main relay replacement.

I turned the battery power on and the motor rotates like its trying to start. ( The ignition switch is Off!)
I took the cover off and disconnected he starter solenoid.
When I conectedthe solenoid again there was smoke coming from what I think was the main relay.

Anyone has ever this happened to them?
Anyone has ever replaced main relay, suggested instructions, please?

Thank you
Jose M

smoke coming from main relay side ?

But when you on the battery ,their is no power input to the relay unless the ignition switch is on , only after on the ignition switch their will be power input to relay. first check ignition key side, i had same incident, its because of bad ignition key.

wajira

I had this very same problem on my 200's. Its the relay on front of motor that controls fuel pump and starter. Mine was cranking on it's own just like you described. Its an easy fix, just pull off black plastic cover on front of engine and replug new relay harness. If you have twin outboards, it would be wise to replace them both to avoid future problems.

Skooter thanks for your reply.
I did pull the relay and there was signs of spark (burned spot) on the back metal support braket.
Kind of scary if it can happen while out fishing.
Never had anything like this before.
I am goint to go ahead and replace iginition switch also.

Did you ever figured out what was root cause of the failure?

Thanks
Jose

I think corrosion in my case was the cause. I did know a boat mechanic that told me he once pulled up to the shop and one of their customers boats had been cranking all by itself. Very scary...

Back