Logo

Digital speed tach harness

Tomasga26

Twin 2005 BF225A

does anyone have any experience installing this harness?

im hooking into a Garmin gpsmap 840xs, what sensors could I expect to monitor, I assume temp, tach, power, fuel, etc but not sure?

in case you need it one of my serial numbers

BAGJ-1300955

does anyone have a wiring diagram for it or install instructions.

my outboards currently have analog gauges

thanks in advance

I'll defer to Mike on this, but to the best of my knowledge it is not possible to interface Honda outboard performance signals to any chart/plotter prior to 2010. The Honda digital signals are proprietary. From 2010 forward, they are NMEA 2000 compatible.

Ok thanks, I did cancel the order.

Couple of questions, do they make a smaller tach for this motor?
Have you heard of anyone using a Noland RS11 to convert the analog to digital.

my goal is simply to gain space on my console for an added chart plotter without either digital or smaller gauges I have no way to accomplish this.

thoughts?

thank you

I have not used it...but looking at the owner's manual, it looks like it will do exactly what you want...at least for the basic info....tach, fuel, voltage, etc. I am not sure if it can handle the trim indication, since the trim signal from the Honda is a variable voltage and not a variable resistance, like other motors. Although, I did not read the manual page by page.

You will also need a basic NMEA2000 backbone to connect it to your Garmin. Here is a basic backbone kit that Garmin makes. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/nmea-2000/nmea-2000-starter-kit/prod66030.html

Perhaps a call the Noland will give you more incite.

Let us know how it comes out.

Mike

Mike

Hello all,

id like to report that I have installed the Noland RS11 v4 analog to NMEA2000 converter and it works great. All gauged have been verified and replaced by my garmin MFD. it was really simple to install as well and their support is fantastic.

I just read the manual on the Noland RS11. That's an impressive bit of engineering. Back in 2008 when I first purchased my BF 225 I was severely hacked off that it did not have an NMEA 2000 interface like just about all other manufacturers had.

The one question I have is how did you know the voltage and resistance ranges of each of the signals from the engine for the initial set up?

The software interfaces to the device and by double clicking on the value it will auto detect the current value presented. So for example. My voltage on the fuel gauge is at 2.24v when full. Then when you get down to half a tank you take another reading to complete the calibration. Finally you set the level values. 100@ 2.24 [email protected] for example. The tach is ppr so I started out at 003 and compared it to the gauge. Then I noticed on the back of the gauge there is a setting for ppr. I was at 002. I changed the device and right on point through the entire range.

I think several of us would like some feedback after you have used this device for several months. It looks like a great retrofit.

I think several of us would like some feedback after you have used this device for several months. It looks like a great retrofit.
Bumping an old thread as I’m looking at a NMEA 2000 conversion project this winter…anybody else have success with these products (Noland or others).

Back