Logo

Mercruiser vs Volvo

both are GM based, both can use the same parts, some parts interchange .some volvo parts are expensive in relation to those same parts in mercruiser

Mercruiser is like GM, service and parts are everywhere.

Volvo, well is Volvo, limited service and expensive parts.

Mercruiser Engines vs Volvo Engines. Which do you prefer and why?

Mercruiser is Marine..... Volvo is automotive. I think that you want to compare Mercruiser to Volvo Penta.

If asking about the Merc or V/P SBC Marine version enignes.... neither are built correctly because of this piston selection:

Attachments

• Dished Piston.jpg
    Dished Piston.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 2,322
Mercruiser is Marine..... Volvo is automotive. I think that you want to compare Mercruiser to Volvo Penta.

If asking about the Merc or V/P SBC Marine version enignes.... neither are built correctly because of this piston selection:

I think everyone understood that I was referring to Volvo Penta.

Thanks

OK, I'll bite. Since I just rebuilt my '96 5.7l Mercruiser and I used those pistons:confused:, please educate me on why that was a bad choice?
tks

OK, I'll bite. Since I just rebuilt my '96 5.7l Mercruiser and I used those pistons:confused:, please educate me on why that was a bad choice?
tks

Perhaps not a bad choice....... but certainly not your best choice!!!!

By reading this thread (link below), you will gain a better understanding as to what is involved with building a more specific Marine Cruiser SBC engine.
(start at post #7)
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?394668-V6-to-V8-engine-swap

Back