Logo

Garden trailer for a boat

SMOKEU

Affordable, second hand boat trailers to suit my 10' Fyran aluminum boat seem to be in very short supply at the moment near where I live so I was thinking of buying a garden trailer, similar to the one in the pic below. If the front and back "gates" on the trailer (not sure what they're called) drop down, then I'll have a fairly large, flat area in which I can put my boat.

I was thinking of putting some sheets of plywood in a V shape up the front of the trailer so the bow of the boat can rest hard up against it. Would that work?

6x4-heavy-duty-trailers.jpg

Have you tried craigslist? Maybe call U-haul and see if they have one for sale? I dont think you want to dunk that one in the water a little 10` boat could easily be loaded in a puckup

Have you tried craigslist? Maybe call U-haul and see if they have one for sale? I dont think you want to dunk that one in the water a little 10` boat could easily be loaded in a puckup

Unfortunately Craigslist isn't really used much here in NZ, and U Haul don't operate in NZ. Pickup trucks are eye wateringly expensive here (think $US10,000 for a rough 25 year F150 that isn't even road legal). The perks of living at the bottom of the world!

I`m sure you can make that one work but for a little skiff you could probably adapt a jet ski trailer or a little motorcycle trailer would be alot lighter and easier to handle. If your gonna back it into the water you want bearing buddies on the wheels and submersable lights.

I`m sure you can make that one work but for a little skiff you could probably adapt a jet ski trailer or a little motorcycle trailer would be alot lighter and easier to handle. If your gonna back it into the water you want bearing buddies on the wheels and submersable lights.

Thanks for that! I didn't think about the lights...

I'd never heard of Bearing Buddies until now but I've just read about them and they sound very interesting. I'll definitely get a pair of them!

more damage is done to aluminum boats on the highway than in the water..especially a riveted boat....you need to either buy or build a boat trailer...to build a crater to support that boat properly in that trailer will result in the boat setting too high to launch and retrieve...just my opinion....

Back