Logo

Fuel Burn Rate

I am looking to purchase a 3 foot Bluewater Yacht. There are (2) 350 Crusader engines 270 hp. Can anyone tell me what the fuel burn rate is for these engines at 1500, 1800, 2000, 2200 rpms. Thanks for any help.

Short answer is A LOT!!!

big variables: gear ratio, prop size, and bottom condition...and how much mass is in the hull....

43' of hull gives you a huge wetted surface area and that can't be changed.

Evening Bluewater cruiser

Not being a smart ass....but... two decades ago when I was contemplating buying a "bigger" boat I asked a broker how many "miles to the gallon"?

He replied '" If you are worried about the gas consumption, you shouldn't be thinking about getting a bigger boat.:D"

I went to a 42 footer, twin Crusaders 350's, boat weight is 19,000lbs, 3 feet of draft, I cruise at 1500 RPM, (digital tachs with manual sync),speed in zero wind is about 6.8kts-7.2 kts.

If I step above that, I can literally see the fuel gauges dropping. Above 1500 RPM all I am doing is pushing water...the hull is a "non-planer".

In my opinion, fuel consumption in any boat, no matter what engines, boat config, propellers, etc , depends on just how fast you want to get "there". Being retired, I really don't care about 'time' and am very happy going at the speed that, to me, is most economical (1500 RPM) and easy on the engines:cool:.

I have droned on..... and sorry...I have no idea what my actual fuel consumption is at 1500 RPM :confused:

Last edited:
Evening Bluewater cruiser

Not being a smart ass....but... two decades ago when I was contemplating buying a "bigger" boat I asked a broker how many "miles to the gallon"?

He replied '" If you are worried about the gas consumption, you shouldn't be thinking about getting a bigger boat.:D"

I went to a 42 footer, twin Crusaders 350's, boat weight is 19,000lbs, 3 feet of draft, I cruise at 1500 RPM, (digital tachs with manual sync),speed in zero wind is about 6.8kts-7.2 kts.

If I step above that, I can literally see the fuel gauges dropping. Above 1500 RPM all I am doing is pushing water...the hull is a "non-planer".

In my opinion, fuel consumption in any boat, no matter what engines, boat config, propellers, etc , depends on just how fast you want to get "there". Being retired, I really don't care about 'time' and am very happy going at the speed that, to me, is most economical (1500 RPM) and easy on the engines:cool:.

I have droned on..... and sorry...I have no idea what my actual fuel consumption is at 1500 RPM :confused:

Hey I don't consider you a smart xxx or anything like that I was just trying to estimate how mucj fuel I could expect to use. Hey I'm close to retirement and 1500 rpms, 7-8 knots is fast enough for me.

I still have a job where I get my thrills going fast whether it be by boat car or aircraft. But my intent with a boat like the one I was looking to get was to cruise and maybe the great loop one day. The wife and I both decided earlier this evening that the boat I was talking about is probably too much boat for us so we have already started looking

I truly appreciate any advice I I also heard the saying, if your asking how much fuel it's going to use then you probably shouldn't be buying the boat. So thanks for the advice

Spend the dime and get a certified mechanic do a complete survey of the boat before you buy. Preventive maint has alot to do with fuel economy and service life of the motor. Keep the hull clean as well as the drives and props.

A minimum of 12 GPH each at most economical cruise (on plane). Figure on 15 to 18 GPH at the speed most people run them (on plane).

Off plane, you can get far better MPG (what we're all actually looking for) but one has to keep from 'climbing a hill' all the time by going to fast off-plane. I see people doing this all the time, plowing along with the bow sky high: They get bored creeping along and advance the throttles, resulting is the WORST mileage they could get. On plane, though burning a lot more gas, they would be going a lot faster, hence improved MPG.

One can't beat a FloScan unit to determine the most efficient cruising speed.

Jeff

Last edited:
. ..............................But my intent with a boat like the one I was looking to get was to cruise and maybe the great loop one day. The wife and I both decided earlier this evening that the boat I was talking about is probably too much boat for us so we have already started looking

I truly appreciate any advice I I also heard the saying, if your asking how much fuel it's going to use then you probably shouldn't be buying the boat. So thanks for the advice

Now, if you are seriously thinking of doing "the Loop", then the size of the boat will depend on what the "Admiral" expects as far as comfort goes while on that type of adventure. I know some have done "the Loop" in small, (what I would consider as 'small' boats for that voyage), and have been quite happy with their venture.

Being retired and not exactly a 'Spring chicken' I want more comfort that can be afforded in a small vessel and SWMBO wants the same thing. Again, JMO but if you are serious about recreational boating AND "the Loop" I would be looking at something between 36' - 40' .

Another factor to consider is ...are you going to be a "blue' water boater or strictly 'fresh' water boater ...or maybe a little of each.... as well as "where will you do the most of your boating"?? Will you be a weekend boater or a boater that spends months at a time on your boat ?? So many considerations....so little time..:cool:

Personally I am a river/lake/canal boater so I don't really need anything that we would classify as "sea-worthy" and ready for 8 foot swells and chop. :rolleyes:

Plenty of experienced boaters with a vast amount of knowledge on this forum and some many are extremely well versed with the mechanical workings of all facets of a boat.

Don't be afraid to ask questions ......enjoy :eek:

Last edited:
Back