Logo

02 yamaha 150 melting water pump housing

Dstecea

I have a 02 yamaha 2 stroke 150, I put a new water pump in it a year ago and ran it almost every weekend. It sit the last 3 months so I hooked it up to miffs to make sure no problems. It melted the water pump housing in less than a minute running. I flushed the motor in every way possible, no blockadge.I put new everything on for water pump, started again. And melted it again in less than a minute. I can attach hose to the flush hose on side of motor and run the motor with lower unit off, doesn't over heat pissing great. Put lower unit on, not pissing. I have called 8 different techs and showed 2, no one knows why. Any ideas on what to try now? Water pump is on right, and didn't help when put in a run tub

Any suggestions are appricated, it could be something simple I've over looked. Someone somewhere has to of had this happen to them.

Remove lower unit.-------Remove waterpump.----------Pour water into the lower pump plate intake hole .-----Does the water run out the intake?

With the lower unit off, hooked to the flush hose water streams out of it fine. Put lower unit back on and do the same, it will not stream out.

Are you sure you are putting everything back? Do you have the collar, lock and spring washers that preload the impeller to the wear plate? Sounds like something is out of place. Maybe take it back apart and take a few pictures to post.

This will sound stupid but, throw away the rectangular flush muffs if you are using them, they suck. The cheap round ones work the best.

Everything is in right, I have done many and it has been cheked just incase. And after the first one burnt up, I ran it in a run tub. Home made, but much larger than a 55 gallon drum.

And thank you for the reply. I don't mean to be a pain, I'm just annoyed with it. I have had it apart 5 times now and still can't use it.

Back