Logo
Click for Suzuki Manuals, Parts and Model Guides!

Default Suzuki DF25 V-Twin Four Stroke Outboard Motor Engine light comes on at full throttle.

My son has a 2007 Suzuki DF25 V-Twin Four Stroke Outboard Motor. The check engine light comes on when you run the motor at full throttle for about a mile. It is then at reduced speed. You can run it at reduced throttle all day long with no problem. When this light comes on you can restart it to get it to run normally. It has new plugs, new oil and oil filter. The water pump was replaced and pumping fine. The oil pressure switch has been replaced. It has about 30 psi oil pressure at idle but I do not know what is normal. We tried a different prop as well. I think about all that is left is the temperature sensor or the thermostat. I read in his service manual ¨do not overfill the engine oil or damage to the engine could occur.¨ I found that my son had double the amount of required engine oil. I drained the oil and did an oil and filter change to correct that problem. I do not know how long he had been running it like that or what damage could occur. All parts were replaced with Suzuki OEM parts. Does any one know what is wrong.

Default Re: Suzuki DF25 V-Twin Four Stroke Outboard Motor Engine light comes on at full throttle.

I have been having same exact experience and do not have the answer. When I got the motor, it was overfilled with oil and I didn't deal realize it. It ran fine. When I finally changed the oil and put the correct amount, it started to have same symptoms you mentioned. Brought it to a shop and they couldn't duplicate the problem... cost me $100 just for that. Any new info you may have learned?

Scott N

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebuzzbait View Post
    My son has a 2007 Suzuki DF25 V-Twin Four Stroke Outboard Motor. The check engine light comes on when you run the motor at full throttle for about a mile. It is then at reduced speed. You can run it at reduced throttle all day long with no problem. When this light comes on you can restart it to get it to run normally. It has new plugs, new oil and oil filter. The water pump was replaced and pumping fine. The oil pressure switch has been replaced. It has about 30 psi oil pressure at idle but I do not know what is normal. We tried a different prop as well. I think about all that is left is the temperature sensor or the thermostat. I read in his service manual ¨do not overfill the engine oil or damage to the engine could occur.¨ I found that my son had double the amount of required engine oil. I drained the oil and did an oil and filter change to correct that problem. I do not know how long he had been running it like that or what damage could occur. All parts were replaced with Suzuki OEM parts. Does any one know what is wrong.

Default Re: Suzuki DF25 V-Twin Four Stroke Outboard Motor Engine light comes on at full throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaquin View Post
    I have been having same exact experience and do not have the answer. When I got the motor, it was overfilled with oil and I didn't deal realize it. It ran fine. When I finally changed the oil and put the correct amount, it started to have same symptoms you mentioned. Brought it to a shop and they couldn't duplicate the problem... cost me $100 just for that. Any new info you may have learned?

Scott N
    We have not figured it out. The engine runs great at less than full throttle and we can run it full throttle but not for very long. Usually in some of the smaller lakes we fish this is no problem since we are all the way across the lake before it goes into limp mode. I think my son has chosen to ignore the problem rather than pay a service as you did.

Well I want to sell mine and would like to get it working 100%. I have a guy that will look at it for me. I will let you know what he finds.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebuzzbait View Post
    We have not figured it out. The engine runs great at less than full throttle and we can run it full throttle but not for very long. Usually in some of the smaller lakes we fish this is no problem since we are all the way across the lake before it goes into limp mode. I think my son has chosen to ignore the problem rather than pay a service as you did.

I had the thermostat removed and it is running like a charm. The problem went away. I didn't put a new thermostat since there wasn't one immediately available, but it should be fine without.

Running an outboard engine too cool below normal operating temp.is not beneficial to motor

Sorry not sure how to start a post. I'm trying to find what year my outboard is it's a suzuki dt4 00402 501067 thanks. Dan