Logo

90 hp gear issue

92cobra

Hello all,
New here and New to my 92 bayliner cobra fishing boat with a 90hp force outboard.i recently inherited the boat from my grandpa who passed.so me and a buddy from work who has some experience with outboards. We started by draining the lower unit oil.well we didn't see the drain plug on the bottom of the lower unit.we see the bolt on the side of the lower unit and pulled it out. It has a threaded shoulder with a inch or so smooth surface. Well after realizing what we did we tried to reinstall and I believe that has something to do with the gear selector. I took it out fishing and realized I only had forward gear.I messed with the linkage some and the gear selector and got reverse and neutral.but I could never get all at the same time.please help. Is the pin I pulled connected to the gear linkage? Can I did this without pulling the lower unit?

Thanks,
Adam

That would be a pivot pin for the shifter fork.-----------Best to have this corrected before big $$$ damage is done.

That would be a pivot pin for the shifter fork.-----------Best to have this corrected before big $$$ damage is done.

That's kind of what I figured....does the lower unit have to be removed or can I try and fix this while it's still together?? Thanks for your reply.

Adam

That's kind of what I figured....does the lower unit have to be removed or can I try and fix this while it's still together?? Thanks for your reply.

Adam

Well I removed the lower unit,and messed with the shift linkage...it still seems as if it's not doing anything....no noticable clunk or fear change? Anyone have any insight ?

Since you removed the top and didn't have any luck fixing???
You need to remove the prop shaft and try to assemble that way.

Once you have it all apart it will o back together easier.
No need to remove the driveshaft.

Saw this on another site.

Jerry I'm the same person probably wasn't having much luck. I got the pivot pin lined back up. As said im not sure if it's actually doing anything though.I was really hoping to stay away from pulling the prop as it seems difficult and even more time involved.

It's not really all that hard.
If you can read and have wrenches it can be done.
Get a parts diagram on line and a FACTORY manual.
They cost a bit more but are well worth it.
I bought a manual for a 91-94 150hp. for 12 on e-bay.
The lower units are all the same just different gear ratios.

Back