Logo

omc 190 power loss

Shaggman96

I have a 1977 omc sterndrive system. The engine runs great and I wasn't having any problems with it. I was out on the water and all of a sudden I heard a clanging noise and lost almost all power to the prop. It's not the engine it's in the drivetrain. I had enough power to get back to the boat ramp but if I try to give it much gas it just revs the engine. I'm new to inboards so any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

most likely the vertical splined shaft in your outdrive that connects power from upper to lower gearbox has stripped. Very common issue on OMC stringer drives. It's often called the w/p shaft because it also drives the water pump impeller. The shaft is about $200 and you can change the impeller at the same time and coat the splines of the new one with marine grease.

However a 1977 also has a rubber hub in the prop that you want to make sure hasn't rotted and left your prop free on the hub.

Is it it shaft that comes up out of the lower unit. I took the lower unit off last night and the shaft looks ok to me. I may be looking at the wrong shaft but I think it's the one yur talking about. Also. I didn't know if there was some type of clutch system in this sterndrive but should I be able to spin the prop by hand if the engine is off and I have the system in forward or reverse?

Ok new update on it. I turned the lower unit upside down and found stuck in the bottom of it a small rod maybe 1/4" in diameter about 2 1/2 maybe 3" long with a spring around it. I have no idea what it is or where it came from. Any ideas?

Back