Logo

1974? Mercury 50 H.P. motor info

Nchiapet

Hey guys just picked up a boat that has the motor pictured on it. Boat has been sitting for 20 years really curious as to any and all information about this motor or where I could get parts ? Also is this motor 4 stroke or 2 stroke and I know I need plug wires for starters. Have not attempted to fire due to wanting to get a good check list of things before potentially damaging the motor ! Thanks in advance guys any and all info would be great!

Nick (not a marine mechanic)

trying to to get photo to upload 8:07

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Any other info you can give me on this motor ? I was curious if these are a pain in the A** to work on or anything to start with?

I think these are a wonderful motor and easy to work on.---------This may be your first motor and your opinion may be different.

take a close look at the wiring under the cowl for insulation coming off and green corrosion.....especially the small wires up front...mercury had some wiring problems back then.. at one time the complete harness was available with some place in florida..don't know about now..

Awesome thanks for the starting help if you guys have anymore info on these motors please keep the info coming I am all ears. :rolleyes:

Back