Logo

454xl fuel pump replacement part number

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
1995 454xl. After I replaced the raw water pump today, I started the engine up to check for leaks. Smoke started to bellow out of the fuel pump. I disconnected to plug and inspected it. All looked fine. Question.. what fuel PUMP REPLACES it?? The manual says part # 22898. That crosses to Sierra 18-7326 which says is for a 4.3.. Sierra 18-7331 is for a GM GEN V.

That was my post a few years ago. That problem was the fuel shut off safety switch. Now the issue is the fuel pump. It was smoking!!! There are a lot of fuel pumps costing from $100 to $300. West Marine has a Sierra pump for $168.00 but the number 18-7326 which is for a 4.3. I can order a CRU22898 but I would like to know the difference and what causes a gas fuel pump to smoke? If I was underway and the engine hatch closed, I would have never noticed the problem. BOOOOM??

OK...looked around and on the Net the Crusader pump appears to run from $178.00 - $193.00 but saw a new one on EBay for $160.00
For the life of me I can't think of a reason a fuel pump would smoke. Are you sure it was from the pump and not some item nearby? What color was the smoke..Black, brown,white?

I am sure some more technically knowledgeable person on this forum will come up with a reason...hang in there.

It was white smoke. I had first mate start engine while I was in engine room (with fire extinguisher) and saw the smoke come from the top of the fuel pump. Engine started right up and ran fine for the few seconds before she shut it down.

Smoke from an electric pump would be an indicator the motor inside the pump is operating under a distressed condition - and likely to be from the windings' insulation - time to replace it.....

The big benefit to paying the premium for the crusader part is that it should fit w/o any issues.....otherwise, there isn't much to it...

I ordered a Crusader fuel pump. (CRU 22898) Wont be here until Tuesday. I agree 100% with MakoMark. Genuine Crusader parts always appear to fit better and the quality appears better.
If I was out for a boat ride with the hatch closed and the fuel pump started to smoke, what does it take for the 10 amp breaker to trip??

It depends upon who made the breaker and how it was rated.....most will carry the current they are rated for for a long period of time.....and the variations are large....best to examine the breaker itself to be certain.

Also, it is very possible the motor has experienced one it the rarer failure modes.....could also be an issue with the relay that induced the failure....so, I would definitely change the relay before assigning root cause to the pump's motor....and then inspect the old one to see if it contributed...

I'm not sure what relay is connected to the fuel pump. I see the MSTS relay. I know MPI's have a fuel pump relay, but mine are carbs. the 10 amp breaker is original, so I'm not sure who crusader out sourced it to.

The Crusader fuel pump arrived today. (CRU 22898) Fit perfect. I think it is important to get the whole kit. It came with the pump, two fittings, two O rings, and two grommets. Problem fixed. I put the old one in the vise and connected 12volts. Smoke started to come out where the plastic meets the aluminum side. I tore it down and didn't see any 'smoking gun' , but now I understand how a electric motor/pump operates without blowing up. :)

Glad you got it running...could just been excess current draw and that was making more heat than the plastic could tolerate...

I dug out the manuals and some early electric pump setups don't have a relay....big thing is to ensure no voltage drop occurs in the pump's 12VDC feed...

Hi I’m looking to replace one also. Is it easy to do? Did one motor a few years ago (a friend changed it). And now I think the port needs to Swap. So it’s pretty accessible and I have the new pump / kit. I do t hear anything g when I turned the key. Motor ran in land a week ago. Splashed last weekend and couldn’t get port running.

Thx

Thx

Thanks, where would it be? I’m a little mechanical lol. I have it unplugged now so, using those wires? And put a meter on them? Will have to get one.

I didn’t see any breakers tripped. Hoping to get someone to help me but so far that fell through...

thx!

Last edited:
After reading the posts again, you may not have a relay.....Most of the 454XL's I've seen have the crusader unique oil pressure switch controlling the fuel pump.....

They have been known to be of finite life (as are fuel pump relays). Your owner's manual should have the wiring diagram....and the switch is usually screwed into the oil galley, down on the side of the block, just above the oil pan rail....

Thanks. Should have mentioned. Yes I have replaced both oil pressure switches over the last year or 2. My mechanic narrowed things down to them last year and figured do them both. Both engines have run great. Really just have problems starting as others have mentioned. Port worse than stbd and now can’t get it to run. It ran in land 2 wks ago. Then started on the trailer for about 10 seconds (enough time I got both running) then port stalled and that was it. A mechanic on a friends boat helped with some quick testing and thinks it’s fuel pump. I do happen to have one new, because I bought it after replacing the stbd about 5 years ago.

Dont mean to hijack this thread, I can start a new one, this sounded similar when I did a search.

I would say the expected norm is to Not hijack a thread and to abstain from resurrecting the sleeping ones but I've never seen any hard thresholds.

As far as the swap goes, they are straight forward.....the appropriate line wrenches make removing the fuel line fittings a breeze....just taken the normal precautions needed when working on the fuel system....

Spares are always good, as long as you have adequate storage.

This is one example where the OEM price isn't really justified. you can buy another pressure actuated switch and put the old pigtail on it.

Hi, I have a 1995 3570 Espirit and need fuel pump. Barely pumping gas on port side and making loud noises. Had it fired up couple weeks ago but hardly any gas thru injectors. Had them cleaned and flow checked good but port side pump really weak. Which part number is correct the CRU22898 or the 98220 and where can I find it. Thanks

98220 is the expensive custom (to crusader) oil pressure switch that controls the fuel pump (22898)....

the switches fail quite often....make sure it is good before condemning the pump...

I looked at that pump according to those part numbers on eBay and that pump looks nothing like mine. Do I assume it’s just a slimmer new version and is what I need? My old pump is a little smaller than a coffee can with both ports on side with inlet at top and outlet at bottom. It also says in new pump description that it’s 25 GPM @ 8 PSI. Is this the correct rating I need for 454 tbi

I looked at that pump according to those part numbers on eBay and that pump looks nothing like mine. Do I assume it’s just a slimmer new version and is what I need? My old pump is a little smaller than a coffee can with both ports on side with inlet at top and outlet at bottom. It also says in new pump description that it’s 25 GPM @ 8 PSI. Is this the correct rating I need for 454 tbi

Your TBI runs off of 10-14 psi. 12 psi is optimal. I use the Pierburg fuel pump. Can you post a pic of your old one?

Back