Logo

Replacing sensors

Splice

Hi. Does anyone know whether any modern sensors can replace old sensors (like Oil Pressure sensors), I have two Volvo Penta TAMD60b engines and need a few sensors which have corroded etc. Unfortunately most seem to be out of production with no replacements available.
Secondary related question; does anyone know which sensor is fitted to the oil cooler located just above the starter motor on the TAMD 60b? I cannot pin this down with certainty even on the workshop manual!
Many thanks in advance.

Hmmmm, what Volvo Penta part numbers do you need? I'm seeing all the sensors (sending units) still available from Volvo Penta .
Expensive but available :)

Hi, thanks for your reply. That is the question, it is so difficult to ascertain from the drawings. One specifically urgent is screwed into the oil cooler (left side) located just above the starter motor; I believe it is the oil pressure sensor 843231 / 866833 but the parts drawing shows it as having two other parts associated with it; whereas mine has two studs sticking out looking more like 837781 / 866840 labelled as Oil Pressure Sender (rev gear) or 837782 / 866838 labelled as Oil Pressure Sender. Scared to touch it without having another to replace as its condition is very poor.

The other is either 827150 or 822858, temp sense or thermal monitor; gut feeling is 822858.
Really frustrating that even the workshop manual doesn't show them.
Also, considering there are 7 sensors / senders shown on the drawing, there are only gauges / warning lamps / siren for Eng Temp, Oil Pressure and volts / charge. Tacho / revs and hour counter. Volts monitoring won't be from any of the sensors!
Any comments welcome.

Hello again,
I must be looking on the wrong site but all I get is 'unavailable". I tried this number 866838 with same result.
Where are you looking?
Thanks, Keith

but I hate paying Volvo's prices, $200 for a sending unit is ridiculous, I would remove the part and take it to NAPA, see what they have. It's just a sending unit, shouldn't be that special .

Back