Logo

Gamefisher 9.9 Model 225 581994

Bullie

Regular Contributor
I traded for a Gamefisher 9.9 recently. It seems to be in perfect condition considering its age. Compression is 120 on both holes. The previous owner rebuilt the carb but said it wouldn't stay running.

It has spark jumping 7/16 on the bottom cylinder but has very little spark on the top. Maybe it will jump a couple of millimeters. I pulled the flywheel today and was a little stumped. It had normal looking coils but no points or condensers. I don't see a power pack on this thing so I am stumped. What should I do? I hope it doesn't involve making a boat anchor.

The grease on this thing isn't even discolored. Only a few little scuffs on it.

The only thing you can do is try and clean all the connections good. Those coils are impossible to find and if you even find one new it dont mean its good. They are similar to the pointless coils found in briggs and stratton engines but they stopped making them back in early 90s. If you can find the stator from a late 80s motor with points is you best alternative. You need the points plate, cam and flywheel. That is a force built motor.

Thanks kimcrwbr1. I will clean everything up but honestly, it looks spotless. This motor looks like it has maybe 10 hours on it.

When they took the points out of the Chryslers they fixed something that wasn't broke.

An update, after alternately staring at and then ignoring this little motor I finally decided to give it another shot. As kimcrwbr1 recommended, I found a flywheel, mag plate, and cam from an older (1968) Chrysler 9.9. After swapping some things back and forth I have spark. I did lose one of silly little c-clips on the points post but hopefully i can find one of those locally. Anyway, I have made some progress finally. Hopefully I will have a video of it running soon. Do I have to go back with the original plastic prop on this thing? It's pretty dear.

Running on only one cylinder. Ordered new condensers as the coils check out ok. Hopefully that will be the problem. I have removed and cleaned the points.

Not a big fan on cleaning points either I found it best to replace the points and be sure and clean the feeler guage and contacts with acetone or lacquer thinner. Just a little skin oil will cause them to foul out in short order.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF-IoOzaqV0

I think I worked most of the bugs out of it today. I do have a new problem though. Now I can't shut it down. :cool: It is running too well to shut down using the choke. It had a MOB switch attached to the old coils/mag plate but that stayed on the plate. I guess I will need advice on how to proceed with using the old switches to ground the coils.

Take the two small wires out of the old plate and connect one to each set of points. To stop the motor you just short the points together with the switch.

Back