Logo

88 Johnson 15 hp extended shaft

Hotstick

5" spacer was frozen to water pick up tube. The tube stretched or pulled 3/4 inch ?
During impeller replacement ,the spacer was removed cleaned .supplied pressurized water to pick up tube finger on Pete hole water flowing slightly down pick up tube ?
Is this normal or does this rusty salty engine need another week of work ?
hotstick
[email protected]

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...5RLCCS&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gearcase
If you use the proper names of parts we can help better. Was the motor badly overheated you should probably pull the powerhead and replace all the rubber for the water tube and once it is getting good flow to the powerhead run it in a barrel of water with saltaway while monitoring head temps. It wouldnt hurt to replace the thermostat at the same time. Put the time in now for trouble free service during the season.

Your correct about my part terminology .there is no over heat issue , while replacing the impeller a problem materialized the extension shaft housing was stuck to the copper feed tube that supplies water to the power head .this housing must be lowered to disconnect the shifter linkage during the process the feed tube was pulled down towards the prop now the tube is 3/4" longer than it should be ,water was injected

Apologies my first forum . Up the supply the supply tube with the outlet plugged water is noticed flowing down the tube is this normal ? No manual available at this time .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/395122-WATE...ash=item43c07f5d0a:g:DtMAAOxy8e9SUyH-&vxp=mtr
I would still pull the powerhead and check the water tube is still in place it may have just straightened out. There is a flange and grommet in the exhaust tube that needs to be correct for good flow to the powerhead if the grommet was damaged usually from a overheat condition. The water tube getting stuck in the water pump is also a sign of severe overheat. Order a gasket for the powerhead base and a new grommet and see if you can put the proper bends in the tube. Was the extension a add on or does the model number have a L in it?

The water tube was never stuck in the water pump it was stuck in the 5" extension piece from the water flowing down the tube this is why I wonder if this condition is a normal occurrence. Still I am going to pull the head now . Ouch why did not just tell me to use this engine as a mooring anchor . Thanks for the input.
Rick

The power head is off , the water feed tube not only is straightened out BUT has a 0.135 dia. Hole in the tube 2" from the power head ! Is this normal ?

Questions tube length is an issue on this extended shaft housing. Without the model number how can I order on line?
Parts list : power head gasket, water tube flange gasket, water tube, thermostat.
Any specific sealant ?
Should assembly be performed on the stand or the bench ?

Back