Logo

Your experience when changing over to electronic distributor

anderbud

I have a 1979 Glastron Carlson CVX16SS with an OMC 140 HP 3.0 want to change over to Electronic Ignition Distributor.
Would like to hear your experiences with your change over. And if this went trouble free or challenges that you came across. Also what part number of the kit you got if for OMC 140 3.0
thank you

I changed mine out in a 1977 OMC with a 351 Windsor , the only issue I had was the hole was .015 larger than the automotive cousin probably due to the Prestolite distributor so I had a bronze bushing made to put on the new distributor, other than that hooked up 3 wires and it works perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERTRONIX-2...m2ee511efac:m:mD1ed9yB3APK2hbsMjQtmSw&vxp=mtr
You can use the existing coil but you need to wire the new module to key on hot before the ballast resisor. Make sure the mechanical advance is working properly is there a reason why you want to convert the distributor. Those older motors have been preforming just fine for over 35yrs you will see little if any performance gains. Your best bet is to put new points and condenser set the points using dwell meter then adjust base timing. IMHO dwell is 32degrees and 4degrees base timing. Allways set the points with a dwell meter first then adjust the timing.

Last edited:
I have a 1979 Glastron Carlson CVX16SS with an OMC 140 HP 3.0 want to change over to Electronic Ignition Distributor.
Would like to hear your experiences with your change over. And if this went trouble free or challenges that you came across. Also what part number of the kit you got if for OMC 140 3.0
thank you

Your thread title and your first sentence suggest a "new ignition system", yet you go on to mention a "Kit".
The kit is often the Pertronix unit.

Here's the down side of the Pertronix kit:

The old contact point system is replaced with a sensor unit and a magnet embedded plastic triggering wheel.
The kit uses Hall Effect triggering via a very small diameter triggering wheel.
These triggering wheels have been known to offer a discrepancy of up to several degrees error.
The kit does ZERO to correct any existing components that may be worn out.......... shaft bushings, advancing system, etc.

If you are OK with that.... then the Pertronix may be just fine for you.
If you are NOT OK with that, I'd suggest one of two options:

a..... Have your old system tested by a shop who owns a Sun, King or Allen machine. Once corrected, install the Pertronix kit and test again.

b..... Replace with a completely new system.

I changed mine out because the old distributor was corroded and beyond repair , I used the original coil no extra wiring just 3 wires 2 to the coil 1 ground and it works perfect.

If you do a pertronix conversion make sure you are getting 9+ volts to the module when running low voltage will take the module out fairly quickly.

Back