Logo

need some help on 2002 honda 225

aristakat

Regular Contributor
ok ran motors out last week noticed one motor jumping/losing power... I feel like its starving for fuel/// I just changed all fuel filters ...runs fine low or normal rpms.. Only when I thortle fully does it act up on one motor ? any diagnostic help appreciated

thanks
Jamie

Did you look at water sep and also change high pressure filter in the vst? I know you said "all" the filters, but had to ask. Also there is a strainer/filter between block and intake..Very hard to see unless you know where to look.

Agree with Skooter on the strainer. Also, did you try squeezing the pump-up bulb when the engine was failing? Have you checked for air bubbles in the fuel line? Are you sure that the seals on the LP and HP filters are correctly seated?

Did you look at water sep and also change high pressure filter in the vst? I know you said "all" the filters, but had to ask. Also there is a strainer/filter between block and intake..Very hard to see unless you know where to look.

intresting not sure where his strainer is can someone show me on pic or off boats.net
I did change all other filters and o rings seated properly

ok here is the lastest trip out, seems like as motor warmed up motor starved for fuel .. I checked primer bulb , I could feel air being sucked thru .. As I squeezed fuel bulb I could feel fuel on my hands.... any thoughts ? I plan on replacing #5 fuel pump filter ? is there a way to check fuel pump is working properly ? I just changed fuel bulb last year ,, could it be the fuel line also ?

Jamie,

Chris is right - that will isolate whether fuel pump or fuel line before pump.

Don't quite understand. Did you feel raw fuel on your hands, or just going through the bulb? with air bubbles too?

First check hose connections to fuel bulb. You can also install a piece of clear hose with same ID as your fuel line between bulb and the onboard fuel/water separator and see if air bubbles are being drawn through. If so, and you are sure the bulb is good, and connections tight, then you will need to get to the top of your fuel tank to find where the rubber fuel line mates with the metal feed tube coming out of your tank and check that. If that all checks out, you could have a hole or crack in the metal fuel feed line inside your tank, in which case you will need to replace it.

I feel like a broken record. Runs great/perfect in neutral, and good until it warms up or at high rpm's, correct? Please check lower unit oil just for fun and get back to us on the condition.

I think might be o2 sensor,, when I do a key reset engine clears up for awhile? I switched fuel lines too other motor problem didn't switch w fuel line so eliminates fuel bb fl line now.. motor run rough in nuertral rev up or ry to o on plane ,this happened before on other I changed fuel pump w no effect.then changed o2 sensor and magic it fixed same issue ..

So it is fixed, hard to understand your post? Did you not already have problems with a lower unit? I always check the easy and not so obvious as I got lots of experience with many others assuming certain things are ok without checking. Lower units are so easy to just pull the bottom plug, drain a little and reassure it's good to go.

So it is fixed, hard to understand your post? Did you not already have problems with a lower unit? I always check the easy and not so obvious as I got lots of experience with many others assuming certain things are ok without checking. Lower units are so easy to just pull the bottom plug, drain a little and reassure it's good to go.

so I changed 02 sensor today, seemed to run better I thought but after a period of running motor problem of engine running rough continued I could feel vaccum on fuel bulb while engine was running and acting like starving for fuel... I could rev engine up in neutral and engine would spit and spatter then do a key reset (turning key off and back on) motor would seem to correct it self for a short period ? I also would turn key on and listen for fuel pump to energize in which I could here fuel pump..... I don't think its a fuel restriction because when I key reset motor seems to run ok for short period ? does the key reset effect fuel pump or is there a chance of bad fuel pump ? not sure where to check next ?

its not the gearcase for sure !!!! I recently changed gearcase oil and water serparator and all fuel filters except the one cartridge in front of fuel pump

When you said you changed "all fuel filters EXCEPT the one cartridge in front of fuel pump" - do you mean the high pressure fuel filter was not changed? If so, it should be. That's the source of many fuel feed problems on the 225.

You said: "I could feel vacuum on fuel bulb while engine was running and acting like starving for fuel." I don't understand that. If the bulb was partially collapsing, then you (1) have a clog in the breather tube to the fuel tank, (2) have a restriction on the end of the pick up tube in the fuel tank, or (3) the check valve in the pump up bulb is malfunctioning. If I recall correctly you have dual 225's and I assume you have a common fuel tank and pick up tube that feed both engines, so items 1 & 2 above are unlikely. Replace the pump up bulb with a known good one.

One other possibility - assuming you have a common fuel tank and pick up tube for both engines, then it is possible that items 1 or 2 above are in play, but the fuel pump on the good engine is significantly stronger than the one on the misfiring engine, starving that engine for fuel because of a partially blocked breather or pick-up tube.

Finally, one explanation for the engine to run OK right after a restart is that it is giving the VST time to refill itself a bit. That engine will run at idle for several minutes on just the fuel that is normally in the VST.

Ok motors run on two separate tanks, I switched fuel lines last trip no change.. Both fuel bulbs compare as far as not collapsing. I just don't understand why seems to correct itself after key reset instantly..? I did change HP filter. Could it be a sensor ? I am clueless now

Hope it works out, let us know..btw I know these issues from my own previous experiences with the hondas..keep us informed

SO water tested boat last night for few hours she ran awesome !!!!! back to 100% as you can see by pics cleary was issue thanks again to all hope by sharing will help others

Attachments

• ISO SCREEN 2.jpg
    ISO SCREEN 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 54
  • ISOLATOR SCREEN1.jpg
    ISOLATOR SCREEN1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 38
Back