Logo

1972 evinrude fisherman 6HP

OMC 4 life

Hello,

I am new this forum, as you can probably see. I'm no very familiar w outboards , but I have a fair amount of automotive & small engine knowledge . Gasoline/Diesel/2stroke&4stroke engines. I acquired a 1972 evinrude fisherman 6 hp , i have done alot of reading on the engine itself , cooling system , ignition , and fuel . So since it has been sitting for a while i pulled the carb off immediately cleaned it , checked needle and seat everything appeared to be well taken care of . anyways long story short, I primed it up got it started first pull i might add. i noticed there was a slight almost faint drip of water coming out of the bypass exhaust , I know there is an underwater exhaust but the bypass is gonna kick most of the water out from the cooling system . I let it run for about 1 minute with no water really still . But i did not rev the motor or switch it into gear at all . so i cut the motor off figuring " hey it's been sitting" i should have checked the impeller . well pulled the lower unit off , impeller looks brand new with barely any scoring marks at all . i checked to make sure it was on the dowel pin and turning the correct way , which it was . So my question to you is . the temp outside was around 35 degrees . Am i not gonna see any water untill the engine is at operating temp? or should i see it right away cold motor? or regaurdless of being at idle . Im stumped with it atm and i would like some feed back before i pull the power head and check all the jackets , and lines for clogging . Any feedback would be awesome .

Thanks!

Should have seen water right away. Sometimes when they sit the rubber gets stuck to the housing and when you start it the brass hub spins in the rubber. Will need to check that I would replace it anyway just because it's been sitting. Also check the water intake by the propeller make sure it's clear and did you have the water level above the pump housing.

Should have seen water right away. Sometimes when they sit the rubber gets stuck to the housing and when you start it the brass hub spins in the rubber. Will need to check that I would replace it anyway just because it's been sitting. Also check the water intake by the propeller make sure it's clear and did you have the water level above the pump housing.

Yes I had the water level high enough . Thanks for the suggestion on the impeller . I'm going to check that when I get home tonight . I ordered a new thermostat and gasket for the housing , forgot the o-ring but I guess that's okay since I'll take your suggestion on replacing the impeller anyways . I'm supposed to take my boat out on Tuesday because it gonna be 78 degrees here in Virginia . All I have is my 72 Johnson 9.5 running at the moment , was hoping to have a back up . But I will report back and let you know what I find out .

Back