Logo

Valve Job question

Wolfpack Rugby

Decided to have Marina do the engine work on my boat. Top end rebuild with new distributors. They are sending out heads to be rebuilt. They suggested that they may swap out my heads with other that rebuilder has on the floor. Should I insist on getting mine back.? They are saying if mine are in bad shape, rebuilder will suggest swap. 1986 270 hp Crusaders. Appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

Lou R.
36 Mainship D/C

How many hours are on the engine? First I would want to know in what way they are in bad shape. Are the ones they are offering to swap with you rebuilt or just off another engine?

Engines have 1200 hrs. Burn zero oil. Full fresh water cooled. Leak down and compression test indicated valve job needed. Risers and elbows being done same time

Rebuild your heads. Do not accept anything else. There are cheap "chinese grade" replacement heads out there.

Unless your heads are cracked, there is no reason they cannot be reused.

If you have any parts replaced make damn sure they show you the old parts they took off before you give them any money. By law they are required to hold on to any parts they replace. Do not accept any excuse why they no longer have the old parts.

Another vote for have them rebuild what you sent them....

In the past, when we sent stuff out for work, we always punched a unique ID mark on the part(s) and took pictures...no issues that way.

Decided to have Marina do the engine work on my boat. Top end rebuild with new distributors. They are sending out heads to be rebuilt. They suggested that they may swap out my heads with other that rebuilder has on the floor. Should I insist on getting mine back.? They are saying if mine are in bad shape, rebuilder will suggest swap. 1986 270 hp Crusaders. Appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

Lou R.
36 Mainship D/C

Rebuild your heads. Do not accept anything else. There are cheap "chinese grade" replacement heads out there. Unless your heads are cracked, there is no reason they cannot be reused.

Lou, in addition to what Chris suggests.......... note that there are quite a few different combustion chamber volumes within the SBC cylinder head choices. The piston profile selection and combustion chamber volume must compliment one another.

There are also "light" castings and "heavy" castings. You DO NOT want Light Castings.

If you are absolutely certain that your existing castings are correct for your engine build (piston selection), have your cylinder heads re-done.

Back