Logo

Starter Rope

I have a 1969 Johnson 4 hp Seahorse Model 4W69B
The pull cord rope has come out, not broken. Does anyone have suggestions on getting the rope back in?

Also... what would be the recommended oil to gas mix for this age engine

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Fuel mix is 50:1. That's the easy part. The recoil starter has to come off and taken apart to replace the rope. Takes a lot of typing to explain the whole procedure.

Thanks for the reply.
Shouldn't the oil mixture just a little bit more due to the age of the engine? 1969 Johnson 4 hp - 4W69B model
I got the starter rope coil off and got the rope replaced. Question is to how to rewind the coil to get the rope to go back in the housing?

Personally, I don't care how much oil you put in it. But the engineers that built it said 50:1. More won't harm it if you just gotta do it.

Attachments

• 3 hp Side Mount Starter P3.jpg
    3 hp Side Mount Starter P3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the reply.
Shouldn't the oil mixture just a little bit more due to the age of the engine? 1969 Johnson 4 hp - 4W69B model
I got the starter rope coil off and got the rope replaced. Question is to how to rewind the coil to get the rope to go back in the housing?

Officially it should run on 50:1 but as kimcrwbr1 says it does not have needle bearings throughout ( only the top crankshaft bearing I think) It is often therefore advised to use a more oily mix On an FAQ board on another well known boating forum 40:1 is recommended but if it is to be worked hard you might even consider 24;1

You will find instructions for removing, disassembling and reassembling the recoil starter in the manual at
http://************/lib/evinrude/manuals/1956-1970johnsonevinrude.html#/0 where boatinfo .no ( without the space after boatinfo) replaces the string of asterisks
Chapter 9 section 4, ( page 331)

Back