Logo

Default evinrude scout trolling motor repair

I have an old evinrude scout trolling motor. the speed control switch only works on high. I have two motors, one is saltwater and the other is a freshwater unit .I'm trying to put the speed control rotary switchs from the freshwater unit onto the saltwater unit. these two units appear to be identical except one is white and the other is black in color. the problem is the freshwater speed control has 3 wires and the saltwater unit has 4 wires. freshwater has an orange, black and yellow wires and the saltwater unit has two black and two red wires. how do I make the change?

Default Re: evinrude scout trolling motor repair

What are the model numbers? You can go to seaway marine and look at parts diagrams.

I don't see model numbers on the units. I only see us patent numbers. scout is also on the unit.

About all you can do is go through and compare part numbers to narrow it down got pics of the motors?

All I could find is the scout was produced from 1974-1979 if seaway dont have the parts they likely can not be found.

Looking through the diagrams the three wire to the motor is 12 volt and the four wire is the 24 volt.

i've had it 12 years. it is a 24 volt system.ran fine for 11 years. it does make sense the other wire is for the other 12 volts

24 volts is two batteries connected in series two batteries in parallel is still 12 volts with more amp hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1 View Post
    24 volts is two batteries connected in series two batteries in parallel is still 12 volts with more amp hrs.
    this three wire switch was in a 24 volt unit that looks identical to the other one is black and the other is white. coudn't this three wire switch be wired into the 4 wire system? just don't know which two wires to connect to which post.

Without a schematic I wont even guess. There must be a model number somewhere on them. Evinrude scout is very little to go on.

Bow mount or transom mount?

this is a bow mount unit,foot control.the model # on the black freshwater unit is bvf4pv, the model #on the white saltwater unit is hard to make out,but appears to be EB12TB

both are 24 volt . black unit has 3 wires on the switch and the white unit has 4 wires

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Evinrud...HixW8g&vxp=mtr
    This should show the wiring and there are more than one switch. I`m guessing the white one is mid 70s and the black is late 90s. EB12 is 12 volt and EB14 is 24 volt. BF4 is a 24 volt also. Find the part number for the switch and call seaway marine or search ebay.

kimcrwbr1, thank you so much for all your hard work and knowledge. I've had the black one for years. I've had the white one about a year and a half. It was sold as a 24 volt unit.I've been using it for a year or so. it is hooked up to 24 volts.

Your gonna want to get a service manual with wiring diagrams, you may be able to piece a working motor between those two?

thank you for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    this is a bow mount unit,foot control.the model # on the black freshwater unit is bvf4pv, the model #on the white saltwater unit is hard to make out,but appears to be EB12TB
    Can u tell me where to look for them model numbers, I have a scout and steering cable is broke.....found one that looks similar and think is the right one.....but with model number I can be sure.....thnx