Logo

OMC Cobra 30 liter distributor conversion to HEI

B

Bill Stocker

I have a 1988 OMC Cobra 3.0L

I have a 1988 OMC Cobra 3.0L and I want to replace the point and condenser distributor with a HEI distributor. I owned a 1977 Pontiac Sunbird many moons ago and I believe this is the same engine (151 CID 2.5L) that was in my Sunbird. Is this a valid cross reference for a distributor? Are there any other options?

" Bill,
I would take your old

" Bill,
I would take your old distributor to a good auto parts store. I would suggest one that has been around for a while. (The chances of them having cross reference info will be better) There may be some advance issues that will affect total and initial timing. However these can be adjusted or compensated for. You will also have some wiring to do. Your tach may have to be wired different or changed. Also if your old system had a ballast resistor it will have to be removed. If you happen to be from Southern New England I may be able to recommend a source for you.
Good luck
Ernie "

" Please! If you care about yo

" Please! If you care about your personal safety
and the safety of you family and friends, don't
use an automotive dist.
Marine dist are flash proof to prevent
explosions.
Your local Napa dealer should be able to set
you up with an electronic marine dist. "

contact your local OMC dealer

contact your local OMC dealer. they have a factory upgrade kit that includes a new ignition module that is needed to insure the drive shifts properly and don't use a auto dist.

Affordable Marine Power Center
www.affordablemarine.com

Back