Logo

Honda overboard

Edfisher

My Honda BF2D bounced off the transom and into the water. I pulled the carb, cleaned it out, changed the oil but no luck. I, check for spark by taking the plug out with the wire attached and pulling the cord but no spark was seen. Does the plug need to be grounded to the motor in order to see spark ? What could I check to find the problem.

Thank you
Ed Fisher

If you do not get spark, after you ground the spark plug, make sure the safety landyard is attached. If it is, disconnect the wire from the landyard, to take it out of the circuit. It is possible that the water caused a short inside the switch, inhibiting the spark.

If you get spark and it still will not run, double check the carb gaskets. They easily slip out of position when you put things back together.

If the motor was running when it went into the water, then you may have some bent valve push rods. See part #4 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2005/BF2D5 SCHA/CAMSHAFT/parts.html

They bend very easily. They are also easy to replace or maybe just straighten out (replacing is preferable). You do have to remove the power head to get the valve cover off...but it is not that difficult to do.

Mike

Thanks Mike
I really made a mess of this. I have a shop manual and removed the coil because I thought I had no spark because I did not have the plug grounded. After I replace the coil and find spark, then how do I know if I have bent valve push rods ?
Edfisher

Compression being way off is one way to see if something is wrong. The only sure way after that, that I know of, is to check valve operation and clearances. If the valves do not move, then at least the push rods are bent. They are the weakest link in the chain.

Mike

Back