Logo

Advice: 1988 V-Master by Ebbtide or 1994 Glastron?

browniemix33

Hey guys, still looking for the first boat so need more advice. I've recently came upon two boats, both priced around $2k. One, is a 17' 1988 V-Master by Ebbtide boat, with a 3.0L 135hp mercruiser (stock # UG1346). Its in pretty good shape, turn key ready, with pretty good upholstery and has been winterized and wrapped. I also have come upon a 1994 Glastron boat, Ser No. GLAM5633H394 with a 3.0L Volvo. It is also turn key ready, good interior condition, and winterized and wrapped. Wondering if anyone has had an experience with these boats or similar brand ones? And advice if you had to pick one which one you would choose. Thanks

Obviously, the newer boat for the same price makes more sense. Volvo drives are more costly to repair, but if it doesn't need it...

Jeff

I agree that newer is better for the same money.

My opinion is,

Ebbtide is a far superior boat than a Glastron.........We sold both where I worked years back.

Mercruiser technology for small pleasure boats is far superior due to many choices of repair location, Parts accessibility and cost.

I am not a fan of anything Volvo-Penta...........costly, hard to find service centers therefor your options are limited.

Both use the same motor a GM based 4 cylinder so the motors are the same.
Electronics and outdrives are different.

I am not sure about the Volvo for that year and what ignition it used. Points or electronic?

Mercs is most likely a points for that year and is easily converted to electronic (pertronix kits)

Also if there is any idea of how many hours used that may help also.

Jack,
Thanks so much for the advice, it definetely helped. So in your experiences selling them, Ebbtides proved to be fairly reliable? Like you said, Im not too worried about the 3.0L mercruiser engine, Ive had good luck with it in the past, but the boat itself did you find a lot of people having good luck long term? What are some common repairs, or it is a solid long term boat?

At that age all bets are off
ebbtide is a better built boat but if not taken proper care of it is no different then any other lower quality boat....

until you unwrap it and can view it there is no telling.

The key for me would be the condition of the interior and floor.

The ebbtide may show more wear due to being older but if it is solid it may be the better choice.

Hard to say without seeing them

I don't think ebbtide is made anymore...I could be wrong.

I loved their 21 foot bow rider with the 350 mag.......60+ miles per hour and handled extremely well. very low to the water, you could easily put your hand in the water sitting in the back seat.

Also their 22ft cuddy with the 454 bravo was another great boat..65+ mph all day!!

A 17 ft is not anything special and it will be what it is.

Look at the beam (width) and compare the overall space each may offer.

If all is equal it will be your choice.

Back