Logo

Navigation light doesn't work

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
I have a 1996 sprint fish and ski. Power switch lights up when I turn on, the bilge pump works fine, but when I flip on the navigation switch, the power switch light turns off. Any clues as to whether switch might be bad or if wiring just came loose? Just a young man in the learning process on his own.

They fix it with a lot of investigation and patience. As I just posted on another thread, just rewire the whole forward section, starting from the wiring harness forward. Completely eliminate any wire that is not being used. I know it's a PITA, because I've done it several times on old boats. But when you're done, you'll have confidence that things will work properly. Use top notch marine grade (tinned) stranded wire. Seal every connection with self-sealing connectors, or heat shrink tubes. I also use liquid electrical tape on all terminal connections. Use string tags to identify each wire and make liberal use wire guides. Make it as neat as possible.

+1 to what Chawk said, I did mine ten years ago and it hasn't give a problem since, it sounds a lot more difficult that it is.

Okay, so the whole reason nothing works, lights/gauges etc, is because the panel has no hot wire leading from the fuse panel to the battery. Where would I hook a hot wire to the fuse panel? I know how to connect to the battery obviously, but where would this go on the fuse box. I'm gonna try and upload a pic of my fuse box to show you what I'm talking about.

imagejpeg

Back