Logo

Fuel storage ??

crankbait

Regular Contributor
ok, in real life,(not what the manufacturers state), I have fuel that I store that is mixed with stabil that I store for my generator and 4 stroke 15hp yamaha. how long will this keep before I must replace it. any ideas how long un-mixed fuel will keep vs mixed with stabil ??

Ayuh,... In my experience, the larger the volume, the longer it'll keep fresh,...

So how many gallons we talkin',..??

Moisture intrusion is the big variable on a vented tank. Keep the tank topped off and it greatly reduces intrusion due to the rise and fall of the barometric pressure.

I like to have a minimum of 5 gallons ready to go. I do keep it in a sealed 5 gallon container.my main concern is, how often should I rotate it into my truck/boat ?? I do not want o rely on bad/old gas when the power goes off when trying to start te generator.

it is just as important to run that generator once a month or so as it is an outboard....if rotating gas (which i do also) listen for what sounds like a backfire...if you hear it it is unburnt fuel being ignited by a hot exhaust...if it happens get rid of the fuel...

Back