Logo

water leaking slowly out above my lower unit...what is happening? (1981 Merc 25hp 2 stroke)

Can someone tell me if this is a normal occurance....and if not....what the hell is happening? A stream of water comes down from near the bottom of the mounting bracket when I adjust the idle. No water in the lower unit & no oil in the water coming out. WTF?

No problem! The housing is full of pressurized (by the exhaust) water that has to leak out somewhere.

Jeff

No problem! The housing is full of pressurized (by the exhaust) water that has to leak out somewhere.

Jeff

Even if it's coming from the area where the shifter rod enters the lower 1/2 of the motor? There is a slight trickle that comes when I adjust the throttle open after turning off the choke. A prospective buyer told me lower lower end seal was compromised but there is no oil in that water trickle and no water in the lower end oil. I am unfamiliar with Mercury modus operandi and am used to a 1976 Evinride 15 hp 2 stroke that does not pee at all. Makes sense if the Mercury is peeing steadily the seal is o.k.?

Where the shift rod enters the lower unit is just an access hole for the rod to run through. The actual shift shaft seal is down by the water pump you can't see it unless you take it apart. sounds like someone wanted your motor cheaper

No, the motor is scrap. Trust me.

I'll do you a favour and give you the scrap aluminum spot price for it - so 90 pounds times 68 cents a pound - heck, I'll round it out to 75 bucks and even split the shipping costs for you to get it to me - I'm really just trying to help you out :)

Seriously, these were great motors that are hard to kill. Have a decent ignition system, power is good - many parts still available (only real downside is the old Tillotson carb that is tough to find some parts for), but in running condition may still have many years of service left in it.

Tell the perspective buyer that there is a BS premium for trying to snow you....

No, the motor is scrap. Trust me.

I'll do you a favour and give you the scrap aluminum spot price for it - so 90 pounds times 68 cents a pound - heck, I'll round it out to 75 bucks and even split the shipping costs for you to get it to me - I'm really just trying to help you out :)

Seriously, these were great motors that are hard to kill. Have a decent ignition system, power is good - many parts still available (only real downside is the old Tillotson carb that is tough to find some parts for), but in running condition may still have many years of service left in it.

Tell the perspective buyer that there is a BS premium for trying to snow you....

It runs great...impeller replaced and carb rebuilt. I replaced the pull rope myself. Are you being sarcastic or is the engine crap? It worked great but just too much for my 14 ft v-hull......way too much in fact. Is it worthless?

No they are having fun with you your motor is fine. They are making fun of the person who told you the seal was leaking because he was lying to you. You have a good motor worth something to someone don't let people tell you it's not.

Yes, just toyin' with ya.

These were great motors. I'm a little partial to those built after 1985, but the earlier 18/25 horse models were fine engines.

Back