Logo

Mercury 1994 200XRI down on hole shot and top end down 500rpm

DeltaRanger

This 1994 200 HP XRI is on a Ranger Bass boat. The last couple years I have the boat out usually 3 days a week, so it doesn't just sit for any extended period. Usually I have a great hole shot and run about 6000 RPM at WOT. She runs about 62+- MPH. A few weeks ago, with no notice, hole shot has gone away and maximum RPM is about 5400. Top speed down to 51+-MPH. I talked to a mechanic and he suspected possibly a broken reed. I pulled the cover, plenum and reed plate and three of the reeds were chipped. One was chipped enough to see light into the cage. Replaced all reeds with Boyesen reeds. All back together and no change on hole shot or top end. I like to do whatever repairs myself to save $$$. Will be putting pressure gauge on fuel system today and make sure it has proper pressure Any ideas? Help.

Last edited:
Ok, did compression test. All between 110 and 119 psi. When I pulled out the plugs to do test, cyl #2 plug was clean like new. Hasn't been fireing. Further testing indicates the coil is bad. Stay tuned. Will post when I get the coil changed.

Ok, I have changed the coil on #2, and.....it is confirmed. The coil was bad on #2. I actually think I've gain a couple mph at WOT. I'm happy to have her running good again.

Back